Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 69 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 63 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Modding a Pump

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:45 pm

MrCrowley wrote:Got any idea with what I should do with the pump? I was thinking the 'chamber' could be used as a sawn-off shotgun style barrel :)

Or a compression tube for a springer ;)

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: dongfang » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:29 pm

Hi,

Wow, world history has been written. Something was bought cheaper in Switzerland than in the US! I found the same pump a few months back, for CHF 9.95.

After coming to the
Got home, tried it out, hose snapped.
stage of evaluation, I decided it was crap, and took it back, threw in another CHF 10, and got a much better pump.

Regards
Soren

dongfang
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:13 pm

dongfang wrote:Hi,

Wow, world history has been written. Something was bought cheaper in Switzerland than in the US! I found the same pump a few months back, for CHF 9.95.

I'm in New Zealand, not US :D

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:40 pm

Well, if the topic is still appropriate, my high pressure pump is 0.80" in diameter and good for 320 psi - and I have a suspicion it doesn't go higher because of my crude O-ring grooves starting to leak too badly at that point rather than that being the physical limits that the forces can provide.

I shall need a new length of 18mm dia. PVC rod, and a better way to cut O-ring grooves... or I could get my butt away from the keyboard and convert a fridge compressor for the task instead, because I've been telling myself to do it for weeks.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:33 pm

I've also been scoping out for a fridge compressor.

Anyone feel free to discuss your pump issues in this thread :)

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:38 pm

MrCrowley wrote:I've also been scoping out for a fridge compressor.

There's a tip not far from me, and there's usually a few old fridges or freezers there at any one time.
I'm wondering if I slip one of the blokes there five quid whether he'll let me liberate the pumps from one or two of them.

It might not work, but I suppose there's not much to lose is there? It should be simpler and easier than trying to find something anywhere else.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:41 pm

Yeah there's a tip quite close to me as well. Haha I was thinking the same, it's the freon gas that's the problem.

I just thought, what about air conditioning compressors? You know from cars and the sort. They're cheap second hand too. I'm trying to find some specs on them.

Edit: <A HREF="http://www.inspect-ny.com/aircond/aircond15j.htm">This</a> says it can be around 260psi...

MrCrowley

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:04 pm

hmmm IMO air conditionining stuff is likely to be more powerful becasue these things have to be more efficient than fridges and refigators....
@MrCrow.... 260 psi is their normal pressure I suppose you could get twice as much

POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: littlebro05 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:05 pm

about the handheld foot pump... you should just buy the ones at Big W if it exists where ever you live lol

You can get ones for $15 i think with a pressure gauge on it and pumps up shrader valves too.

That was what i was going to get for my portable vortex airsoft gun, thought i still haven't made iyet :(

compressors are cheap but you have to lug a car around and i'm only a teenager XS

Edit: Well i kinda thought i saw that hand pump and so. yeah sorry :oops:

Last edited by littlebro05 on Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's Nerf or Nothing.

Don't start crying when I play this as my hobby, Paintball, Airsoft and Nerf are equally good hobbies, except you can play Nerf in public. Good day! Hmph!
littlebro05
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:11 pm

I'm not gonna buy one from Big W or what ever. Did you read the thread?

Yeah but i'll bet you it will crap out over 120psi.

Vortex gun run of a hand pump, should be interesting. :roll:

You're thinking of 12v compressors. Really I would prefer if you read the thread or have some knowledge to what we are discussing before posting useless info. If you don't understand what we are talking about, no need to post.

@POLAND_SPUD
Do you think I should just buy a cheap air conditioner, <A HREF="http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=144698444">such as</a>, and take it apart and take the compressor out?

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:24 pm

I think it has to be at least as efficient as typial fridge compressor since they have to run continously and have to be more efficient to cool air in realtime (I hope you get the idea)...
However I've never come across a compressor made from one of these... so it is quite possible that you'll be first :)
it would be good idea to get some specs about this product and even its parts... and then compare them with specs of generic fridge compresor... but as I said before I think they are more efficient... so to sum up if you can get it cheaper than fridge compresors why not? their operating principle is the same right ?....

POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:57 pm

Yeah you have a valid point.

Do heaters have compressors inside them? We're chucking one out, so i'm gonna check. It has a 'cold' temperature on it, so it should do.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:16 pm

it is highly unlikly to have one.....I am afraid that "cold" temperature means -> no heating just the fan is working...... but I might be wrong, you know there are so many types of heaters... :roll:

POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:14 am

No compressor :( Though the heater did go reasonably cold, must of just been the fan.

MrCrowley

Previous

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion