Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 40 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 36 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

A new type of valve

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
A new type of valve

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:24 am

Okay, so I have thought, and drew this up. It is, basically, a combination of several types of valves I've gathered from this site and Nerfhaven.

At rest, the main chamber and barrel are sealed off. When the chamber pressurizes to, say, 100psi, so does the secondary chamber, by sliding the chamber piston forward. Once the pressures are even in both chambers, the chamber valve will reset via the spring. The barrel piston is connected to a pull rod. When the rod is pulled, the barrel piston opens the barrel. Because the barrel piston is sleeved over the chamber piston, the barrel piston will keep the chamber piston from opening, that is, until the force overcomes finger strength, which will actually reset the trigger. This, in turn, will cause the secondary chamber to refill.

I'm a little concerned about the force needed to open the barrel piston. Is there an easier way to overcome this, or should I not worry about it?

Before I get pummeled, I know I will have to make a good seal around the pull rod and the chamber. Problem solved.

Edit: In theory, if I use regulated air, I can pressurize both chambers to a certain pressure (for ease, I'll say 100psi). When it is fired, only the secondary chamber will be released, leaving 100psi still in the main chamber. This, in turn, will allow the secondary chamber to refill very quickly, say, as quickly as I can pull the trigger?

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Antonio » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:42 am

Looks nice! I am not sure about the pressures and forces though. The pull rod would shoot back like in a piston. Not sure if these accelerations are really safe. But yeah for a semicannon it would be great.

Antonio
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: FeLeX » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:55 am

Are you going to pull on the barrel piston to open it? If so then its going to be hard making it not leak. And if you are going to go through the trouble of not making leak why not make a triggered burst disk??

I have a signature. In Russia signature has you.
FeLeX
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:48 pm

The biggest problem I see with this design is the force needed to open the barrel valve. Once it is open, however, it should stay open. The pull rod, of course, would be covered, to keep it from damaging anything.

Felex: I wanted a semi-auto type of valve. A triggered burst disk is not.

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion