Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 59 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 55 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Mini Coaxial Epoxy Issues

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Mini Coaxial Epoxy Issues

Unread postAuthor: kablooie » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:29 pm

I am making a mini coaxial cannon, the design is here:
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/mini-br ... 13603.html

I have almost completed it, but I have come across a major problem with my epoxying and threaded bushings. Here goes: I'll explain it with pics.

Attachments
Bushing problem.jpg
Here you can see that the threaded nipples (which are epoxied on) need to be attached to the coupling and bushing with threaded bushings. I should have epoxied it together with the bushings on the barrel section, so now I need a way to get that bushing where it needs to go.
Bushing problem.jpg (32.82 KiB) Viewed 304 times
Bushing front .jpg
Here is a closeup of the tee, I guess I will have to either cut the barrel or try and pull that epoxied nipple off.
Bushing Tee.jpg
This is the front. I cannot thread the nipple on the inside of the bushing because the threads on that side of the nipple are damaged.
Bushing Tee.jpg (39.46 KiB) Viewed 304 times
kablooie
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: Counterstriker » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:33 pm

Massive tee :shock: Why not a new nipple? Is the chamber a nipple? I should have a vid soon of my almost completeled gun.

Good job btw.

Counterstriker
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: kablooie » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:44 pm

Yes, the tee is massive (1.5" I believe), It needs to be so large because it holds an 1/4" tee seen in the picture I will attach here. Every piece of pipe on there is a nipple, the ones on the barrel are epoxied on there, I would rather not epoxy them back on if possible. I look forward to the vid!

Attachments
Barrel epoxied.jpg
Here is the 1/4" brakeline barrel, all fittings on there are epoxied with marine epoxy. I might be able to pull those nipples off, I am not sure how dry they are.
kablooie
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: kablooie » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:19 pm

Sorry to double post, but I do really need some advice on this problem. The only options I can think of now are:
Cut the barrel and put bushing on, glue barrel back together somehow.

Try and slide nipples off (might only be possible for the one above the tee)

Epoxy nipples into larger bushing (my least favorite).

kablooie
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: Counterstriker » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:09 pm

Why did you epoxy it? Teflon tape?

Counterstriker
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:21 pm

So you can't unscrew the fittings with a big pipe wrench? Have you tried adding a few feet of steel pipe on the end to get more leverage?

I may be missing something, but why don't you just heat it up to the point that the epoxy melts? Doesn't seem too difficult, but be sure to do it outside.

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: kablooie » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:39 pm

It's not the threads that are the problem, I guess I wasn't very clear about that. Anyway, the problem is that I couldn't find fittings that would go from 1/4" brakeline to 1/4" galv. fittings, so I epoxied the brakeline into 1/4" a galv. steel pipe nipple. I was then planning on threading the nipple into a 1/4" by 3/4" bushing, but I did not slide the bushings over the barrel where they would need to be for it all to screw back together. Because I didn't do that, I cannot screw the bushing on because (obviously) the 1/4" threads will not slide over the 1/4" nipple. I know this is probably confusing, but good news is that I have come across a solution, I will use larger bushings + epoxy and be sure everything is in the right place before I glue. Thanks for replying!

kablooie
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Sponsored

Sponsor

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion