Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 37 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 32 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Pressure ratings for sprinkler valves

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Pressure ratings for sprinkler valves

Unread postAuthor: biggsauce » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:55 am

Hey yall I got to thinking about why a sprinkler valve would be rated to say 150 psi. Is the the plastic the valve is made of that can handle the pressure or is it another component? Maybe it invlolves the solenoid or the diaphram cap. At first I thought that the diaphram would rupture or tear a higher pressures, but pressure is equal on both sides of the diaphram when static, and the rushing air shouldnt cause it to 'flap' to the point of tearing.

Then again, maybe this is a lot simpler than I'm making it and the vavle body itself is in danger of rupturing at exceedingly high pressures.

What do yall think? Has anyone seen a sprinkler valve pressurized to destruction? Or heard so?

biggsauce
Captain
Captain

Re: Pressure ratings for sprinkler valves

Unread postAuthor: starman » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:29 am

biggsauce wrote:Hey yall I got to thinking about why a sprinkler valve would be rated to say 150 psi. Is the the plastic the valve is made of that can handle the pressure or is it another component? Maybe it invlolves the solenoid or the diaphram cap. At first I thought that the diaphram would rupture or tear a higher pressures, but pressure is equal on both sides of the diaphram when static, and the rushing air shouldnt cause it to 'flap' to the point of tearing.

Then again, maybe this is a lot simpler than I'm making it and the vavle body itself is in danger of rupturing at exceedingly high pressures.

What do yall think? Has anyone seen a sprinkler valve pressurized to destruction? Or heard so?

Same reason other parts, pipe, connectors are rated a certain rating.... mechanical design, thermal characteristics, material capabilities all play into the calculation. The ratings are also conservative so you'll go to 200-300 psi before actual failure.

As for specific sprinkler failure, I imagine the diaphram would go first, not from steady state, but stress of and during activation. After that, the threaded input and output housings.

The typical part failure on sprinklers is the solenoid, but not from pressure issues...they just wear out.

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: Killjoy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:08 am

As I recall at high pressures it is generally the diaphragm which gives out and tears. And the valve body though looks pretty sturdy, it probably could take 200 psi or more pretty easily before having to worry about failure.

Check out this how-to by noname, he mods the diaphragm for some serious flow and abuse.
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/how-to-further-mod-a-sprinkler-t7038.html

Stanford Class of 2012

"In the end our society will be defined not only by what we create, but what we refuse to destroy"- John Sawhill

Killjoy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: biggsauce » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:41 am

Alright yeah that makes sense about the diaphram ripping. I'd like to hear one actuate at 200 psi and above, I bet its a pretty scary sound.
But I'll leave that up to those braver than myself

biggsauce
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: Killjoy » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:11 am

But I'll leave that up to those braver than myself

Or those much less intelligent then yourself haha....Hmm I might have to try this.

Stanford Class of 2012

"In the end our society will be defined not only by what we create, but what we refuse to destroy"- John Sawhill

Killjoy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion