Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 44 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 41 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Strange Design Constraint.......

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Strange Design Constraint.......

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:32 pm

Well, on my quest to the .40 calibre bolt action dartgun, i have an interesting design constraint......

I want my gun to be as compact as possible. I have some REALLY NICE maple for the stock and i want to make the entire gun fit inside of it, and look like a Bullpup PCP air rifle......

Attached is a quicly sketched picture of what i want. Basically, i want to fill through one end, pilot through the other end, and have the flow go out the top. And most importantly, i DO NOT want to build a chamber sealer. this will be used at pressures ranging from 150 to 400 PSI.........

and also, if possible, the other design constraint is for it all to be INSIDE of a 3/4 inch Galvanized steel pipe............... nothing sticking out around the OD of the pipe besides the air outlet........

I have my ideas but id like to see what you guys can come up with. my idea is a little hard to do........

i also forgot to mention i plan on using epoxy..................... lots of epoxy.

Attachments
Demo.JPG
The drawing (sorry its bad it took me 5 seconds.......)
Demo.JPG (6.29 KiB) Viewed 552 times
VH_man
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Hotwired » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:53 pm

Umm, the only example I'm aware of is in diaphragm solenoid valves where air from the fill side leaks into the pilot area to seal against a seat.

Making life hard for yourself eh?

Out of interest, where have you been reading that chamber sealers won't work at that pressure :wink:

Hotwired
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:26 am

Its just i dont want to have to deal with the annoyance of making sliding air seals with o-rings. to finniky.

my goal was to use a cylinder of Hard Rubber as the piston, negating the need for a "sealing face" that could come off without warning, ect.

The final result will be, damn sexy, to put it simply, so just bear with me... lol.

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Hotwired » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:43 am

Sound like you had an attack of the myths :wink:

O-rings are not required, neither is a sliding seal, in fact it can look EXACTLY like a barrel sealing piston with just the barrel and chamber swapped over.

Oh and an equalisation hole.

Unfortunately as you've got a design requirement of chamber side filling you might need a spring to keep the piston held shut until the pressures are equalised.

Friction might be enough but I'd not bet anything on it holding if you dumped a compressors air tank in.

Hotwired
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:53 am

Hotwired wrote:Sound like you had an attack of the myths :wink:

O-rings are not required, neither is a sliding seal, in fact it can look EXACTLY like a barrel sealing piston with just the barrel and chamber swapped over.

Oh and an equalisation hole.

Unfortunately as you've got a design requirement of chamber side filling you might need a spring to keep the piston held shut until the pressures are equalised.

Friction might be enough but I'd not bet anything on it holding if you dumped a compressors air tank in.

If you havent got a sliding seal, wouldt it leak pressure from the pilot to the barrel?

Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Hotwired » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:02 am

Blast, and the posts been quoted too :o

A flared piston end of another design derailed me on sealing ^_^

Nevertheless :D

It's still mostly good. The option is there to be creative with the rubber piston or cut a groove in to put an o-ring

Hotwired
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:08 pm

Speaking of wich, what are some good ways to make O-rings 100% "sealy"..... i really dont trust my grove cutting skills..... and remember its going to be taking HUGE amounts of pressure............

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:42 pm

and remember its going to be taking HUGE amounts of pressure............

I thought you said your maximum operating pressure was 400 psi? Which is it? Because 400 psi doesn't really require anything beyond the norm, except maybe a bit more consideration of piston materials and design.

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: Gippeto » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:25 pm

Go for the chamber sealer, cast the o-ring into an epoxy piston.

Use a greased 3/32" cross section o-ring for the casting.

Remove the o-ring after the epoxy has cured, and file the groove to the proper size for an 1/8" cross section o-ring.

o-ring chart here;

http://142.179.166.227/hitechseals/pdf/ORingChart.pdf

"It could be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others" – unknown

Liberalism is a mental disorder, reality is it's cure.
Gippeto
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:27 pm

Thanks for all your help guys, but im still interested in seeing how i could keep this a barrel-sealing gun.................

im going to try my hand at 100% sealing of things, but dont expect anything. im still a little hesitant on the 0-ring part, im not so great with o-rings..................

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Hotwired » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:24 pm

The problem is that you're wanting a barrel sealer in a chamber sealers configuration.

Short of having a 90* bend come in from the exhaust port for a piston to seal against it's not really possible to HAVE a barrel seal as it needs the exhaust to be opposite the pilot.

Hotwired
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: mopherman » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:49 pm

what you could do is build it like a coaxial, but then bend the barrel out the top of the camber. This is nice because of compact-ness, but a requires creative construction.

searching for a modern day savior from another place,inclined toward charity,everyone's begging for an answer,without regard to validity,the searching never ends,it goes on and on for eternity
-Bad religion
mopherman
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: VH_man » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:50 am

Bah youve all convinced me to build this all in 3/4 inch copper pipe..... i have a GREAT idea to make it 100% take-downable......... if i can get O-ring seals perfect.......

VH_man
Major General
Major General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion