Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 58 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 54 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Bulkhead Seals

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Bulkhead Seals

Unread postAuthor: Velocity » Mon May 26, 2008 11:19 pm

There are basically two ways to make a piston removable from the valve. The first is to use a female adapter in conjunction with a male adapter or plug. It is not pretty, but it is cheap and it gets the job done.

The much better way to make a piston removable is to use a bulkhead. The bulkhead, usually constructed from solid plastic or metal, is bolted into place at the back of the piston tee. The one problem with such a method of construction is that the bulkhead usually requires o-rings of some type to seal it.

Does anyone know of a way to get a bulkhead to seal in a pipe/fitting without the use of o-rings, and still allow it to be removable? I have heard that people used Teflon pipe tape, but I cannot imagine such a method having any success. Please do not respond with something like epoxy or hot glue. Thanks

Velocity
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: THUNDERLORD » Tue May 27, 2008 12:02 am

Maybe cut the threads off the male adapter and cut notches into it(so it can be threaded in still).
You'd still probably need a rubber gasket but it could be neoprene or inner-tube. Perhaps thread it in front of the bulk-head then gasket then screws into the bulk-head around OD of T Still like an o-ring though :roll:

THUNDERLORD
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Biopyro » Tue May 27, 2008 3:43 am

I was having the exact same problem here http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/leaky-piston-housing-t14602.html What I've decided to do is just service it through the barrel port and glue it on. I found that a caulk filler made the leak bearable up to around 4 bar, and I suspect that a good silicone sealant would probably solve the problem.

Biopyro
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion