Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 65 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 61 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

PVC fitting help

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
PVC fitting help

Unread postAuthor: iisthemuffin » Tue May 27, 2008 5:08 pm

ok im building a cannon with a 3 inch chamber and a marble barrel...what size are marbles by the way? and i recently read that bell reducers are bad so i was wondering if i could get a 3 inch to 1 inch adapter....i would like the 1 inch part to be threaded...it could be male or female either one is fine...the 1 inch part will be going to a modded 1 inch orbit sprinkler valve

iisthemuffin
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: DYI » Tue May 27, 2008 5:23 pm

1.Marbles are all sorts of different sizes.
2. Bell reducers are fine, as long as they're rated for the pressure and fluid you'll be using. In this case, I'm guessing the fluid is air or some other inert gas, which rules out any PVC parts right off the bat.
3.You can get malleable iron threaded bell reducers or bushings for 3" to 1", as well as some that are socket weld on one side, and threaded on the other. Unfortunately, if you want a rating higher than 150 psi, you'll likely either have to go 3" to 2" to 1" (requiring two bushings) or make your own fitting.

Good luck. You'll learn a lot about plumbing from looking around the McMaster-Carr site.

Spudfiles' resident expert on all things that sail through the air at improbable speeds, trailing an incandescent wake of ionized air, dissociated polymers and metal oxides.
DYI
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: iisthemuffin » Tue May 27, 2008 5:25 pm

hmm ill have a look around the site...also im going to go to lowes to see if i can put something together

iisthemuffin
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion