Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 38 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 35 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

filling multiple chambers at the same time

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: trollhameran » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:34 am

because its quite hard to find PVC around here and It has to be the same diameter as a bottle so it would have to be 4inch PVC, and for the amount i want It would be quite expensive :(, whereas i can get 2 liter bottles for 20p each :D If i could find really cheap 4 inch PVC then I wouldnt hesitate to use it

trollhameran
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Biopyro » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:31 am

Yeah, PVC is much more expensive in the UK, much like sprinkler valves which are about £40 ($78 ) for a 1" one. The female quick connects are suprisingly expensive unfortunately at about £5 each from airlines.
Something like this would be good, and then you just install the fill port in the pipe connecting them, this also means you only need one quick connect set, and if you drill a hole in the pvc then tap the thread with the male quick connect then it shouldn't leak and will cost less than a pound, if you get it somewhere other than airlines (£8 postage).

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. -Benjamin Franklin
Biopyro
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: trollhameran » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:05 am

I really like the way that is put together and it would be very cheap, im planning on using 22mm pipe and im fairly sure that a nut from a 22mm compression fitting will screw straight onto the bottle so if i can get the olive to fit snuggly inside the cap then that will be brilliant

trollhameran
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Biopyro » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:14 pm

I'm pretty sure a bottle isn't a BSP thread and even if it was it would need extra epoxy to seal. I'll check it tommorow if you haven't already. :)

Last edited by Biopyro on Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. -Benjamin Franklin
Biopyro
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: trollhameran » Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:10 pm

I have tried it, the nut will screw on but i think it would need epoxy on it to make it seal well enough

trollhameran
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Biopyro » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:10 am

Ah excellent!, looks like I'm gonna have to make one of these too! The only thing that really stopped me was the thought that I would have to fiddle around with the connection to make it work. Sounds like an easy way to extend an existing chamber too.

Biopyro
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: trollhameran » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:23 am

I kind of found out by accident, i was trying to make a water rocket and i noticed that 22mm copper pipe fit in the bottle neck so i though 'hey i wonder if a compression fitting will screw on here'

trollhameran
Colonel
Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:42 pm

Almost every invention was found out by accident. :D

Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Biopyro » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:07 pm

Yep many of sciences greatest discoverys were found when people were looking for something else. Modern plastics, pennicillin etc. Theres even a word for it - serendipity. Hmm that is really convenient, I might make a backpack water gun like this... :twisted:

Biopyro
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: trollhameran » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:17 pm

Hmm a high pressure backpack water gun would be pretty awesome, I imagine you would need to reduce the pipe down from 22mm for the nozzle though because otherwise the water would be gone in a matter of seconds.

trollhameran
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Biopyro » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Hehehe that would soak people! I was thinking just drill a hole in an endcap. Maybe have 22mm braided hose connecting the bottle to a ballvalve, then the ballvalve as the trigger just behind the endcap. I'd like a built in pump too. This could turn up well. I might put a plan on UKSGC tommorow :)

Biopyro
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: trollhameran » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:47 am

Dude that plan sounds like it would definitely work, maybe if you have a short length of 22mm pipe coming out the bottle then attach a tee, then have the hose coming off one part of the tee and the pump coming off the other part. When you post plans, stick a link to them in here so i can find it

trollhameran
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Biopyro » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:36 am

So I'm gonna have 2 x 3litre coke bottles in a backpack each attached to an elbow then a tee. I'll use a hose clip to attach the braided hose to the tee then connect that to pipe on the handheld bit. The handheld bit will have the pump attached and 2 outlets. One will be a drilled endcap or blowgun and the other will be an open ended pipe for drench mode.

see new plans at http://forums.sscentral.org/t5053/

Last edited by Biopyro on Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Biopyro
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: trollhameran » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:47 am

haha i love the kahuna blast mode lol. looks like a pretty dam good plan to me, then you just need to build it into a backpack and go out and kahuna blast unsuspecting people :twisted:

trollhameran
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: THUNDERLORD » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:47 am

I wonder if a hose clamp would hold a plastic 2-liter bottle on a pipe or just re-inforce it in addition to epoxy?

I was looking at a design where the bottle had screws through it and glue when I thought of just using a rubber piece and hose clamp.

Never seen it done that way though. Why not???

@Biopyro, Looks cool The" Kahuna Blaster". But if people are water fighting they tend to fall down (Got stitches that way once).

Those 2-liters could go Boom! That might add to the fun though. :P 8)

-----SPEED,STRENGTH, AND ACCURACY.-----
"Procrastination" is five syllables for "Sloth".
Theopia 8)
Born To Be Alive!

THUNDERLORD
Major General
Major General

PreviousNext

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion