Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 73 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 69 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

sch40 failure

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: Hotwired » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:19 pm

There are interesting similarities between the recorded rated fitting failures logged around here.

My personal theory has been that if a barrel on an over-under is at all free from the chamber then on firing (even with no ammo) the upward flexing and leverage of the barrel can put excessive stress on the over-under bend.

PVC being a brittle plastic as it is doesn't seem to get along well with being under tension from the air pressure and then being stretched that bit more.

Hotwired
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: willarddaniels » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:55 pm

I am glad you got it all figured out- and foremost, I am glad you are okay and no bodily harm came of this.

If you're 20 and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If you're 30 and not a Conservative, you don't have a brain.
willarddaniels
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: daxspudder » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:14 am

well I think I have discovered a valuable lesson, that I have never heard of. Keep your barrels supported on over unders. My replacement chamber is going to be an inline, so hopefully that will help.

"<I>For dare to be peace, I have to keep at it everyday, da Man doesn't take days off so neither can I</I>" -<B>Bob Marley</B>, day before a performance, a day after being shot in the chest. "<I>If you are the big, big tree, we are the small axe, ready to cut you down!</I>" -Bob again :brave:
daxspudder
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: THUNDERLORD » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:08 am

daxspudder wrote:well I think I have discovered a valuable lesson, that I have never heard of. Keep your barrels supported on over unders. My replacement chamber is going to be an inline, so hopefully that will help.

A support between the chamber and barrel still won't hurt on inlines, to take stress off valve connections.

Been thinking of watergun designs... I definately don't plan to shoot water pushed by pneumatic at someone directly.
Or use any type of metal nozzle that could come loose. :roll: 8)

-----SPEED,STRENGTH, AND ACCURACY.-----
"Procrastination" is five syllables for "Sloth".
Theopia 8)
Born To Be Alive!

THUNDERLORD
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:49 pm

daxspudder wrote:well I think I have discovered a valuable lesson, that I have never heard of. Keep your barrels supported on over unders. My replacement chamber is going to be an inline, so hopefully that will help.

The Wiki mentions the need for adequate barrel support for over/under configurations (here). And it has been discussed in various spudfiles forums many times.

It is a good idea to spend time thinking about the stresses on any homemade construction. If the construct actually moves the stresses may well be completely different than when the construct is just sitting there.

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: daxspudder » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:15 pm

THUNDERLORD wrote:

A support between the chamber and barrel still won't hurt on inlines, to take stress off valve connections.

Been thinking of watergun designs... I definately don't plan to shoot water pushed by pneumatic at someone directly.
Or use any type of metal nozzle that could come loose. :roll: 8)

Actually my two year old and all my neighbors kids love it. They even beg for it, they love to shoot it as well, with me holding it of course. Ive been shot from as close as 10 feet @ 80psi, it hurts but I dont shoot anyone at less than 30', cause that far the cold of the water stings more than the pressure...not to mention nothing is more fun than shooting 3-15 kids at once with a potato gun...(that'll make a good sig... :twisted: )

"<I>For dare to be peace, I have to keep at it everyday, da Man doesn't take days off so neither can I</I>" -<B>Bob Marley</B>, day before a performance, a day after being shot in the chest. "<I>If you are the big, big tree, we are the small axe, ready to cut you down!</I>" -Bob again :brave:
daxspudder
Captain
Captain

Previous

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion