Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 72 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 68 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Alexa [Bot], Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

New (to my knowledge) bolt/piston design

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 

Has this been done?

Yes
No votes
No
No votes

Total votes : 0
  • Author
New (to my knowledge) bolt/piston design

Unread postAuthor: jonnyboy » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:05 am

To the best of my knowledge this is a new piston loading mechanism. If its not please don't flame me for stealing someones design .

The bolt assembly has been changed behind the tee for obvious reasons. The diagram also does not show a hole placed on top of the tee for loading in ammo. The bolt also has a "safety" slot because the bolt could get moved back when moving the gun accidentally opening the chamber.

I am also playing with the idea of just pushing the bolt back witch would eliminate the pilot fill port. I am not sure how much force would require simply to push the bolt back.I'm sure its possible its just a matter of speed. The gun will probably made out of copper with a marble or dart barrel. The piston will be made out of machined aluminum with o-rings on each end. The bolt will likely also be another peice of aluminum threaded into the back of the piston with is now a bolt but I don't know witch. If you have any questions just ask.

Attachments
new gun design.JPG
new gun design.JPG (20.17 KiB) Viewed 283 times
Last edited by jonnyboy on Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonnyboy
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Hotwired » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:45 pm

I think a detailed description of how it would work is needed. I'm looking and not seeing at the moment.

I'm having a current suspicion you're thinking of trying to manually move a piston/bolt with a full end face exposed to pressure...

Hotwired
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: pat123 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:06 pm

It is going to be extremely hard to push that back at a speed that is useful. the only advantage i see in this design is that no air is "wasted" by being let out of the back of the gun.

pat123
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: jonnyboy » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:21 pm

Hotwired wrote:I think a detailed description of how it would work is needed. I'm looking and not seeing at the moment.

I'm having a current suspicion you're thinking of trying to manually move a piston/bolt with a full end face exposed to pressure...

Well I have two separate ideas for this gun probably should have put them in different paragraphs rather than together.

IDEA 1
The first option is to use it as a regular piston gun but be able to load through the side of the barrel where the bolt/piston will cover up the hole during operation.

IDEA 2
In idea 2 no face is exposed to pressure the bottom of the piston/bolt is becuase it sits inside of a tee. So you would only be filling from the chamber port. So you could unscrew the fill valve on the pilot side so it should just be as hard to pull as if their is no force on it.

You and pat think that under both operations their is pressure from the pilot side, witch is my fault I didn't say that you wouldn't fill it under number 2.

jonnyboy
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion