Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 66 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 62 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Improvement on a proposed design

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Improvement on a proposed design

Unread postAuthor: Pilgrimman » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:07 pm

The following design was proposed in another thread. This diagram shows some improvements I thought of.

This diagram is the valve in the closed position. The red part is the slider, which could be a coupler or similar. The blue circles are O-rings. The barrel, which is coaxially mounted in the tee housing, is capped at the back. The light blue is compressed air. The green is a sear (I think it's called that) that keeps the slider from being pushed open. The left O-ring blocks air from the sear. The only part not in the diagram is O-rings that would be mounted either inside the slider or outside the barrel, where the hole is in the next diagram. This prevents air from leaking (duh :lol: )

This diagram shows the slider when open. The right O-ring is to prevent too much air from escaping through the hole for the sear. Some air will escape during opening, but it wouldn't be much. (Those of you with sweaty hands might find it handy!) The sear is pulled down, and the slider is pushed forward. A blocker would be necessary to prevent further sliding, which is not pictured. This design could work co-axially, but I decided to show it in a tee, so that the flow would be maximized. It would not matter where the fill point is, because there is no pilot. A spring could be used to return the slider to closed position.

Sorry for the lousy explanation/diagrams :lol:

The main advantage/improvement with this design is that it eliminates piloting altogether, and can be adapted to fit almost any configuration, such as co-axial or over-under.

Any comments/CONSTRUCTIVE criticism/improvements are welcome!

Yeah, we wouldn't want to anger the bees, now would we??

I HATE YOU BEES! I HATE YOU BEES! I HATE YOU BEES!

LMAO Classic!!!! I love Family Guy!
Pilgrimman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: rednecktatertosser » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:48 pm

That looks really good man.

The one possible thing that I see that may go wrong with it is the lack of surface area the air would be pushing on to move the slider forward though.

Oh, and also, how would the slider be re set?

"When you tell some body something, it depends on which part of these United States your standing in, as to how dumb you sound."
-Burt Reynolds as: Bo "Bandit" Darville
rednecktatertosser
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:11 pm

What other thread did this design come from? Post the link so I can merge them together, no sense in having two about the same thing.

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: Pilgrimman » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:31 pm

rednecktatertosser

I kind of wondered about surface area too, but I figured this design would be most useful for large bore cannons, as we already have QEV's for small ones. I estimate the exposed area would be roughly 1.5" on a 3" barrel version of this design, which, at 100 psi, should be plenty of area :twisted:

A spring could be used to return the slider to closed position.

Don't blame you for missing it... it was kind of buried :D also, it could be reset manually if you drilled a hole in the side, kind of like a bolt action rifle (hard to describe how it would work here, I can see it in my head, but I can't illustrate it :lol: )

jrrdw

Well, that's kind of the problem... the title was something along the lines of "new valve type", but I couldn't find it. It was made at least a month ago, more like 2. I'll keep looking, but I can't make promises :(

Pilgrimman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:32 pm

rednecktatertosser wrote:That looks really good man.

The one possible thing that I see that may go wrong with it is the lack of surface area the air would be pushing on to move the slider forward though.

Oh, and also, how would the slider be re set?

Spring I guess, could be a bit tricky finding the right one.

Edit: Beaten :(

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: rednecktatertosser » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:31 pm

@ pilgrimman - I did seem to miss that, but it could work, though you would need one that could overcome the friction that the o-rings cause, both on the outside and inside of the slider, yet at the same time, is weak enough to be overcome by the air pressure on the surface area of the slider. Basically you need to get all the math done to figure out hom much pressure you'd need out of it. Cause guess and check in that scenario would be a b****. (as mr.crowly said.

Aye, I think I know what your talking about as far as the bot goes...

That look about right?

"When you tell some body something, it depends on which part of these United States your standing in, as to how dumb you sound."
rednecktatertosser
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Pilgrimman » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:04 pm

Yeah, that's about it. I figured a bolt would be best, as you would not only need the right spring, you would also need the spring to be thin enough to fit between the housing and the barrel.

Pilgrimman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: rednecktatertosser » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:14 pm

Aye, I think that would be the right way to go on this one.

Well, I say go for it man. Always worth trying now stiff like this.

Hope to see one being cranked out soon!

rednecktatertosser
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion