Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 69 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 64 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

My firt canno, need some help

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
My firt canno, need some help

Unread postAuthor: noobyspud » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:46 pm

hey guys i live in england so the parts are hard to get but is this a decent idea which could produce decent power.....

a 3" chamber with 3" end cap with a sharder bike valve tire thing......and on the other end a 3" to 2.5" reducer then leading to a 2.5" ball valve then on the other side of that a 2.5" barrel ?

would this be quite powerful in terms of firing potato's and tennis balls

thanks alot guys.

PS. im only 14 lol cut me some slack.

noobyspud
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: brogdenlaxmiddie » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:56 pm

First off, good luck on finding potatos that will fit a 2.5inch barrel. Also, I understand that PVC is extremely expensive in England so good luck with the 3" chamber and the barrel...

brogdenlaxmiddie
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: noobyspud » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:04 pm

oh dont worry ive got all the materials at my disposel there ready for me to order and i was going to sharpen the end of barrel to cut potato's

but all in all will this cannon work quite well ?

noobyspud
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: brother361 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:10 pm

hes saying 2.5 is way to big for potatos u neeed a 1.5 for a good potato fit

brother361
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:10 pm

2" is the maximum size for spuds, even then you still cant use alot of em.

A BV opens way too slow, by the time your projectile leaves the barrel, it is not even 1/3rd open. Try to find a sprinkler valve. (BCarms sells a pre-modded one)

Please be careful with the reducer that it is pressure rated. Many people made a mistake where they used pressure-rated pipe, but also used a DWV bell reducer, making the gun unsafe and limited to very low pressures.

Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: MaxuS the 2nd » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:19 pm

I'm from Norfolk, England..So I also understand how much PVC costs. I suggest using metric pipe and fittings as it's cheaper than imperial. Also order fittings from http://www.trssupplies.co.uk as they're much cheaper. You could use http://www.kiowa.co.uk for short lengths of pipe too.

Although I'd have to say, avoid the use of PVC if you're from the Uk. With the money you spend on a PVC cannon, you could easily make a smaller, much higher pressure cannon.

Last edited by MaxuS the 2nd on Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Badman
MaxuS the 2nd
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: pocket » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:20 pm

are you planing to make an inline or over/under also is this thread nesissary there is one on the go about "nub cannons" if you were wondering what all the push is for you to go buy a sprinkler valve its cuz they will up the overall performance on your gun so don't think that as a bad thing

pocket
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: noobyspud » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:36 pm

sprinkler valves that easy to get in the uk and whats the handle thing that connects ?

noobyspud
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: pocket » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:59 pm

that would be a blow gun it releases air in order to activate the diaphragm thing in the valve but someone can correct me if im wrong

pocket
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Re: My firt cannon PLEASE HELP !!!

Unread postAuthor: starman » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:15 pm

noobyspud wrote:a 3" chamber with 3" end cap with a sharder bike valve tire thing......and on the other end a 3" to 2.5" reducer then leading to a 2.5" ball valve then on the other side of that a 2.5" barrel ?

would this be quite powerful in terms of firing potato's and tennis balls

thanks alot guys.

PS. im only 14 lol cut me some slack.

2.5" is great for tennis balls, terrible for potatos. The power would depend on how much volume you have in your chamber (you didn't mention its length), your barrel length and psi air you fill the chamber.

There are plenty of guys your age active in the forum. Be respectful and responsible and you'll do fine. Your age is barely noticed around here unless you show it.... :wink:

Edit: Actually you could work on your spelling, capitalization, punctuation and grammer some. All that goes a long way toward you being taken seriously.

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: Sticky_Tape » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:51 pm

Yeah don't talk about your age too much I learned that on another forum alot of people got pissed at me I would say I'm olny 12 I didn't know but I learned that is stupid. Off topic I would suggest a moded 2'' sprinkler valve I hear you can get the valve un modded on ebay for maybe 20 bucks and it opens way faster than a ball valve.

You can tell how awesome a cannon is by the pressure used.
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/high-pr ... 12803.html
xnt rnm ne z ahtbg
Sticky_Tape
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion