Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 77 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 74 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

12 volt air compressor possibilities

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
12 volt air compressor possibilities

Unread postAuthor: Bando_Red » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:58 pm

Noob here.I found a cheap " 8 in 1 car vacuum" and one of the more useful things it is is a 12 volt compressor.Now I was under the impression you used a compressor to compress air,after searching a bit (I did search) apparently according to you guys they can be used as an pressure resovoir or whatever (don't have the lingo yet).So which is it?are they both?

Bando_Red
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:07 am

A 12v compressor usually does not have an air reservoir or chamber, they are for emergencies like pumping up your car tire.

Since this is only done every now and then, they get little use and can cope pumping to ~45 PSI. But when you use them in a Spud Gun application such as constant use of pumping up to around 100-150 PSI and pumping large volumes, you'll find they break easily and quickly.

They simply aren't worth using for spudgun purposes. I would recommend investing in a proper air compressor, a 5 gallon 2hp (horsepower) one will do nicely and last for many years with little maintenance.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: CS » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:10 am

A air compressor will compress air, and depending on the air compressor there may or may not be a reservoir to store that compressed air. In your case there isn't a reservoir. The intended purpose of your air compressor is to pump up tires in which case the tires themselves are the air reservoir.

Now I'd assume your thinking about using this guy for a pneumatic cannon. In which case I would suggest you use something else. Those compressors are designed for emergency use not long term use. Not to mention incredibly slow fill times.

CS
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: jon_89 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:40 am

my $10 pump works great and i use it to 150psi.

jon_89
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:01 am

@jon_89 either you have a very well made 12V compressor or you have not used them long enough...

I am sure you'll realize this soon... dont forget to remove all the useful parts out of it when it breaks down (gauges, pressure hose, electric motor etc.)

Children are the future

unless we stop them now
POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: jon_89 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:12 am

i have taken it to a 150 probably 100 times.

jon_89
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:26 am

Overheating those little 12 volt compressors is what does the damage to them. When the ring and cylinder get scored up, (groves wore in them) they loose pumping capacity because the presure slips by the ring via the wear groves, (cylinder scores).

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: iknowmy3tables » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:35 pm

be sure to read about your cheap 12v compressors before you use, they have warnings like do run compressor for more than 10 minutes, after 10 minutes allow another 10 minute for compressor to cool off. I've known several cheap 12v compressors and they say similar things, and they break easily. I had an old pneumatic with about 2 liters on the chamber which I think is small and it took about 10mins with a cheap compressor to fill it to about 80psi

only shop compressors have air reserves so they can have enough flow to operate pneumatic tools like impact wrenches, airbrushes etc, and inflate stubborn tubeless tires

iknowmy3tables
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: sirspuddest » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Yeah, 12v compressors don't use reservoirs. They're basically just automatic bike pumps.

I've used a 12v compressor for all my pneumatics, charged to 150psi, and it's held up just fine.

It takes forever to fill any chamber past 100psi, but it always works.

sirspuddest
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:48 pm

please do not make an impresion that 12V compressors are ok... they suck...
the fact that some of you managed to fill their guns 100 times with them doesn't mean anything.. they are worse than other sources of compressed air

Children are the future

unless we stop them now
POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: iisthemuffin » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:30 pm

Maybe it does mean something POLAND. Its honestly their opinion. Just because you have had bad experiences with them doesnt mean everyone has.

Im sure after owning an air compressor 12v compressors look like crap. But for those of us that cant afford a real compressor right now, these 12v do the job.

Also its not like they are expensive. Like 10 dollars. And an even better one for 20.

I use mine for all my cannons and i take one of them to 120. Sure it takes a while but it can handle it for now. And yes i know it WILL break. But like i said, they are a cheap substitute.

iisthemuffin
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:31 pm

well no offence intended... really

I wanted to point out that you can use many different sources of compressed air... and most of them work better than 12V compressors...

from my personal experience even simple floor pumps are much better than any 12V compressor but of course it will take time to find one that is cheap

Children are the future

unless we stop them now
POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: iisthemuffin » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:41 pm

A floor pump will probably outlast a 12v compressor easily. But also if people are pumping to high pressures or a high volume chamber, they would probably prefer something to do that pumping for them rather than pumping a floor pump forever.

iisthemuffin
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:52 am

yeah but you can use a floorpump whenever and wherever you want to..

are pumping to high pressures or a high volume chamber
12V compressors are not the best at both of these things... they are bound to break down fast that's all. ok they are cheap but IMO opininon its better to spend 100$ on an second hand air compressor than to spend 10$ for a 12V compressor every 2 months or so

I do remember that their flow is low and how much time you have to wait to let them cool down. Trust me once you build a fridge compressor or buy a normal compressor you'll realize that 12V compressors are just a waste of time and money...

Children are the future

unless we stop them now
POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion