Login    Register
User Information
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Who is online

In total there are 87 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 82 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

ball valve vs. sprinkler valve

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
  • Author

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:45 pm

pmalone wrote:thanks for all the help

how much of an advantage is there to using a piston valve over a sprinkler valve? and what is a good tutorial to follow to make one

Huge advantage. Once you get over 25mm in diameter(1") pistons start getting really effective and powerful.

For a 1.5" barrel i'd recommend a 2" piston valve. Though this is a tutorial I wrote and made, I still highly recommend you do a lot of research yourself so you know what you are doing, then you shouldn't have a problem follwing my tutorial as you'll understand most things,

If you don't understand it, you need to do more research.
Once you know enough, you should only really need to use my tutorial as a guide when you get stuck:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Golfbal ... That-Shoo/

Unread postAuthor: iknowmy3tables » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:27 pm

just note that ball valves arn't always infeior, usually the projectile leaves the barrel before it's fully open, but on really larger systems it starts to take advantage of the high flow and the ball valve can be way better.
I know this guy personally who had a 12ft cannon made of DWV with a 2" ball valve, and it really annoyed me because his shot at near 800fps and my more professional cannons with modded sprinkler valves could hardly do half that

Major General
Major General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion