Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 44 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 40 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

simple safety valve question....

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
simple safety valve question....

Unread postAuthor: sharpshooter » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:21 pm

Lets say i have one of those pop off safety valves between 2 chambers. if it is set at 50 psi, it will make for a 50 psi difference between the chambers, not that it will limit the one to 50 psi correct? i.e. if one chamber is 300 psi, the other will be 250 psi?

i just wanted to clarify so i don't end up doing something stupid.

sharpshooter
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: potatoflinger » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:42 pm

No, If you have a safety pop-off valve set for 50 PSI, the max pressure you can have in either chamber is 50 PSI, because any higher than that and the safety valve will open.

It's hard to soar with eagles when you're working with turkeys.
potatoflinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: sharpshooter » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:04 pm

i guess thats not what i was going for... lemme try to explain differently.

If i have one chamber hooked up to a regulated source at 300psi, and another chamber connected to it via the safety valve the opens at 50 psi, will the 2nd chamber eventually reach 300 psi, or will the safety valve close back up once the pressure difference of the 2 chambers is less than 50 psi?

sharpshooter
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: Pilgrimman » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:06 pm

You have a chamber at x psi. and a popoff valve connected to the chamber that opens at x+y psi. If the popoff opens into another chamber, the first chamber will always be at y psi more than the second chamber. Ex. Chamber 1 at 300 psi. assuming everything is at equilibrium, chamber 2 will be at 250 psi if the popoff triggers at 50 psi.

The only problem I could see is if the area acting on the popoff valve is greater on the chamber 1 side than the chamber 2 side. It's the same principle as a piston valve i.ae. different areas at equal pressures exert different forces. You will have to try different popoffs and dial in the pressures if you want certain pressure differences. From your post, it seems you are trying to use a popoff as a regulator. This would work, but the popoff can't be adjusted.

Yeah, we wouldn't want to anger the bees, now would we??

I HATE YOU BEES! I HATE YOU BEES! I HATE YOU BEES!

LMAO Classic!!!! I love Family Guy!
Pilgrimman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: potatoflinger » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:10 pm

If I am understanding correctly you are just trying to have one chamber at 300 PSI and one chamber at 250 PSI, so why not just use a regulator between the two chambers to regulate the 300 PSI down to 250 PSI?

It's hard to soar with eagles when you're working with turkeys.
potatoflinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: sharpshooter » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:45 pm

the biggest reason is size. i found some adjustable pressure ones that are about 3/4 in long and 1/2 in dia. the other is that if i can spend $8 instead of $40 im all for it, even tho $30 is really that big of a deal.

sharpshooter
Corporal
Corporal

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion