Login    Register
User Information
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Who is online

In total there are 78 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 73 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Barrel Sealing Piston Cannon Problem

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
  • Author

Barrel Sealing Piston Cannon Problem

Unread postAuthor: spudkilla224 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:07 pm

Hello, I built a barrel sealing piston valve cannon, and it seals against the barrel fine, but when i turn the 1/4" ball valve to exhuast the air behind the piston, all the air comes out from the air chamber. i don't think my piston is moving backwards.

my piston is made from two 1.25" couplers with a rubber sealing face.
my piston slides back and forth very easily. it just doesn't open when i try to exhuast the air.

i was thinking about adding a bolt with a 2" diameter fender washer to catch the air coming from the airchamber to help push the piston back. do you think that would work?

EDIT: my barrel size is 2", but the sealing face pipe is 1.5"

how do u find pilot volume?

Last edited by spudkilla224 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postAuthor: Carlman » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:36 pm

need more specs mate like barrel size chamber vol and pilot vol.

usually u need a bigger pilot valve

Aussie spudders unite!!
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:44 pm

While a larger pilot valve would work, cutting down the pilot volume by filling the extra space with a larger bumper or making the piston a tighter fit will increase performance while maintaining the smaller pilot valve.

Though a larger pilot valve never hurt nobody.

Along with leaks, this is the most common piston problem on the site, there'll be heaps of similar topics to help you out as well.

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion