Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 73 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 68 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Sprinkler Valve honks, still want to use solenoid

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Sprinkler Valve honks, still want to use solenoid

Unread postAuthor: rastetter » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:14 pm

I just bought a new valve, and it honks like crazy. I thought it was cause it wasnt opening all the way, but i read the trouble shooting and it says the pilot valve is too small... opened it up and confirmed that the hole is really tiny.

Is it possible to make it wider and still use the solenoid and a 9volt?
I have a cool looking altoids switch that i wanna use, and dont wanna spend more money to modify this thing

If I can't do that, I'll buy the valve similar to my old valve (Toro 1"), but it says its a Jar Top Valve, and i dunno what the hell that means

Thanks for your help

rastetter
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: Demon » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:35 pm

http://www.rainbird.com/images/products ... jtv_bg.jpg

This one?

And remember then they are design to work with water, so its normal then they honk with air...

if you wanna still use the solenoid, dont try to make a bigger equalisation hole.

Demon
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:04 pm

Demon wrote:And remember then they are design to work with water, so its normal then they honk with air...

Uhhh...no it's not.

If it honks, it's not working properly. Faulty operation is not usually 'normal'.

@rastetter,

I think someone mentioned it could be the voltage you're using. I think they're usually 12v or 24v and since you're only using 9v, it may take longer to open, limiting flow and causing the valve to honk.

I'm not 100% on that but i'm sure someone will know.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: rastetter » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:29 pm

Yes my valve is similar to that one, made by rainbird, different color, but exactly the same otherwise

I considered the voltage, but it was a steady long honk (like 4, 5 seconds)... Meaning the solenoid was triggered the whole time... aren't those things basically either on or off?

I'll try upping the voltage I guess (kinda sucks cause I liked using a 9volt), I might return the valve and get the 1" Toro Jar Top (looks exactly like my old valve, but taller... Anyone know why they would do that?)

rastetter
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:18 pm

Ah man, just drop that solenoid.
Spend five bucks on a blowgun or ball valve and wahay! your valve is opening more then double as fast, without even needing batteries.

If you are not dropping the solenoid, then in the picture I clearly see manual operation instructions written on it. Tried it that way?

Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:14 pm

First, try two 9V batteries in series. You can also try three.

Second, are you sure it matters that it is honking? If the honking occurs after tha ammo has left the barrel then it has no affect on the guns performance (though you might prefer that your gun doesn't sound like a sick duck).

Third, you may be able to drill out the port hole a bit to get it to pilot faster. I've never used this particular valve, but on my Rainbirds you can just unscrew the solenoid and drill the small hole out at the bottom of the threaded hole. If you can increase the diameter of the hole by 40% you'll increase the area by 100%. Becareful though, if you drill the hole out too much it won't properly seal against the solenoid's piston and/or the solenoid's return spring won't be strong enough.

EDIT: Engrish

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: jrrdw » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:47 pm

Is the bleed valve closed? I agree with MrCrowley wrong voltage on a solenoid will change the opening time.

"I considered the voltage, but it was a steady long honk (like 4, 5 seconds)... Meaning the solenoid was triggered the whole time... aren't those things basically either on or off?".

That discription makes me think there is air slowly leaving the chamber, indacating the valve didn't open fast enough to let all the air out at once. Does that sound like it makes sence? :D

When life gives you lemons...throw them back they suck!
jrrdw
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: rastetter » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:24 pm

at 100psi, it does not open with 9volts, 12 volts makes it honk throughout the whole release, as if its not opening all the way (But i dont know if that is possible) So i guess voltage is my problem... I'll try it out when i get a chance

rastetter
Private
Private

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion