Login    Register
User Information
Username:
Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 65 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 60 guests


Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Soda bottle or PVC?

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
    Message

Unread postAuthor: i-will » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:59 am

i have a fear of losing an eye due to a puncture in a pressurized soda bottle.
it almost happened once. when i was 11 i put down a cannon and a friend stepped on the bottle. when it exploded a lot of dirt and rocks kicked up with it. it felt like being shot with a sand blaster. i turned my face away in time and it left a scar on my arm. :shock:

pvc is much safer.
  • 0

WHY PAY FOR IT WHEN U CAN MAKE IT?
User avatar
i-will
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:04 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: elad311 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:51 am

i-will wrote:i have a fear of losing an eye due to a puncture in a pressurized soda bottle.
it almost happened once. when i was 11 i put down a cannon and a friend stepped on the bottle. when it exploded a lot of dirt and rocks kicked up with it. it felt like being shot with a sand blaster. i turned my face away in time and it left a scar on my arm. :shock:

pvc is much safer.


Yea, but if PVC failed, the damage is much more deadly...
I thought to use iron but I don't know where to buy it.. :?
  • 0

User avatar
elad311
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:48 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: tghhs » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:58 am

hey have a look at this:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=a_QvUC3EqxA

but if you can't be bothered watching, there filling up PET bottles with water and they blow at ~190 each time.

this video made me go with PET bottles on my gun and i used 2, i simply epoxyed them in to T pvc joints, wish means u can put them in series.

I can't tell u pressure i've taken it then to but in can tell u that i was fireing nails at of my gun at ~200 fps give or take a few.

Also i belive them to be safer and on a first build easier and cheaper

one problem u might have is sealing them well as they streach and break week bonds
  • 0

User avatar
tghhs
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:01 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: frankrede » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:23 pm

elad311 wrote:
i-will wrote:i have a fear of losing an eye due to a puncture in a pressurized soda bottle.
it almost happened once. when i was 11 i put down a cannon and a friend stepped on the bottle. when it exploded a lot of dirt and rocks kicked up with it. it felt like being shot with a sand blaster. i turned my face away in time and it left a scar on my arm. :shock:

pvc is much safer.


Yea, but if PVC failed, the damage is much more deadly...
I thought to use iron but I don't know where to buy it.. :?

THE PVC UNDER NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD NEVER FAIL.
Take our advice kid, we are trying to give you safe advice, USE IT.
  • 0

Current project: Afghanistan deployment
User avatar
frankrede
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 3220
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:47 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: jimmy101 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:36 pm

tghhs wrote:Also i belive them to be safer and on a first build easier and cheaper

Cheaper, perhaps. Definetly not safer.

1. Standard pressure rated PVC pipe has a heck of a lot bigger safety margin.

2. PVC is much more tolerant of its "history" than is a PET bottle. If you've flexed or crushed the bottle you have significantly lowered it's failure pressure.

3. Epoxy can be used safely to hold things together, if you know what you are doing and are careful.

In the long run, properly glued PVC is going to be almost as cheap and, more importantly, a heck of a lot safer.
  • 0

Image

jimmy101
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 3130
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:48 am
Location: Greenwood, Indiana
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 7

Unread postAuthor: ThumbzUpTheoden » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:09 pm

sch.40 PVC does NOT explode at 100psi first of all. If you will be operating the gun at higher than maybe 25 or 30 psi, you really should be using a PVC airtank. I shoot potatoes out of mine and I have about a 3.5ft 2" chamber that REALLY puts a lot of air behind the spud. 1ft of 2" PVC is not enough air to get a potato going very far. At least 2 or 3 feet would be fine. If you have an air compressor, then don't hold back on the chamber!!!
  • 0


ThumbzUpTheoden
Private
Private
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:34 pm
Reputation: 0

Previous

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot]

Reputation System ©'