Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 36 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 30 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Sniper Spud Gun... Help Me, please!

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Sniper Spud Gun... Help Me, please!

Unread postAuthor: SpudSniperJesus » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:55 pm

Ok, heres the deal, I am building a sniper rifle and I need help. I am thinking about making it air powered with a breech and gravity loading mechanism, and I was trying to figure out how to make it semi automatic. I was think that if I make an air chamber with a release valve where if I over fill it, it would let the extra air escape with out blowing up. Then I would hook up my air compressor to it then once it is full I would shoot, pull back the bolt, let the next golf ball fall into the barrel, close the bolt and shoot again. Any ideas on how I can improve/modify it?

SpudSniperJesus
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: starman » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:54 pm

The regulator on your compressor can be used to fill only to a certain psi. Or you can alternatively install a regulator on your cannon to make sure you fill at a certain level. Over filling isn't usually a problem.

Pure semi-auto's aren't child's play to get right. Have you looked at Clide's superb GB Semi?

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: jor2daje » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:55 pm

Maybe you could do something like with a bolt that gets blown back, or forward opening the closing a valve to fill a firing chamber

jor2daje
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:16 pm

a release valve where if I over fill it, it would let the extra air escape with out blowing up

Pop-off valves are nifty little things that pop open at set pressures.

You can just use a bolt-action for what you are describing to load the ammo.
For shooting, you could use a 3 way valve.
The ports of the 3 way are connected to:
1-Connected to the pilot area
2-Connected to the air supply
3-Connected to nothing
When the valve opens up the flow from 1 to 2 the gun fills up, and when you turn it so that it opens up from 1 to 3, the air feed (from 2) will be blocked off, and the gun will be piloted through port 3, thus it fires.
After firing put the valve back into the "air feeding" stance, and the gun will be refilled.

Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion