Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 40 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 37 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Whats the deal with burst disks?

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Whats the deal with burst disks?

Unread postAuthor: dilweed » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:36 pm

Hello, I have been thinking about improving power for my airgun the past months. I spent a lot of money on 2 failed attempts on piston guns. I finaly decided to make a simple, elastic band opened ball valve musket. It could fire 20 gram bolts through 2 1/2 inches of hardened plywood, and embed marbles fully into the blocks. My last shot, I used 20 elastic bands( really good ones), 150 psi to open my valve. It fired a loose fitting marbleand a barrel to chamber ratio of 2/ 1.3 into 13cm of thick carboard at 10 meters, through the other side, chip a concrete wall a scream of into the sky. The speed at which the valve opened was so fast that it broke my trigger mechanism. The marbles wieghed about 4-5 grams and are .63 of an inch. Because of this, it makes a really loud cracking/ whipping noise when shot. If I try really hard I can load aim and fire 1 round every 28 seconds. I have seen a recent video of a ball valve triggered burst disk gun, but lost it and cant find it. Would it work with my stats and how much would it improve the power? I want to know if it can fire my cast, 25 gram .75 minie balls at decent speeds over 400 fps at 250 psi.

dilweed
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: Whats the deal with burst disks?

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:48 pm

dilweed wrote:Would it work with my stats and how much would it improve the power?

Yes, it would work - and I can't tell you, but it would be worth it.

I want to know if it can fire my cast, 25 gram .75 minie balls at decent speeds over 400 fps at 250 psi.

I'd need know how long the barrel was - however, HEAL and it's piston valve are capable of about 600 fps with similar projectile stats when using 300 psi and a 120cm barrel.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: dilweed » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:53 pm

My barrel is roughly 90cm long (It kicks like a mule!). I also plan on using a barrel to chamber with a ratio of 1:2.5

dilweed
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:30 pm

Short of making a valveless launcher, a burst disk is basically as good as it gets.

Have a look here, and this is some comparison between a burst disk and similarly sized piston launcher to give you an idea of what a difference in performance it makes.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion