Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 31 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 27 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

New Kiwi Gun Advice

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
New Kiwi Gun Advice

Unread postAuthor: microman171 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:24 pm

My Bazookair cannon just grew mould. I dont know if PVC is affected by this or not, but my pipe was very old and yellowish.

So I have decided to build a completely new spudgun. I dont have a budget but I would like to stay under $100. I live in New Zealand so $100 isnt a particularly high budget.

I have no preference to the type other than no piston co-axials. I have built one and that was great (Bazookair), but I want to try something new. I would, however, consider a diaphragm co-axial.

Currently I have no materials other than clear PVC primer and Yellow PVC Cement.

I think copper would make a nice cannon but I dont have a high PSI source (100psi max), and copper is even more expensive than PVC.

Feel free to post some helpful advice :-)

Microman171

microman171
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:37 pm

Copper would be out of the question for that budget unless you stick to like a 3/4" chamber.

A meter of 50mm pressure rated PVC costs about $20 at most plumbing merchants I go to. The average 50mm fitting in PVC costs about $11-$15.

You probably could make something for just under $100, but it'd be pretty basic in the terms of co-axials.

80mm(3") pipe is out of the question for your budget. It costs over $30 a meter I think and the average fitting is easily $20-$25 each. Sometimes over $50.

So you'll be stuck to a maximum of 50mm for the chamber diameter. If you have this in co-axial form, you'd probably want to stick to 32mm and below for barrels.

Then your pilot valve will probably end up being a 1/2" ball valve for ~$12. As a solenoid valve will set you back $40-$45 no problem.

Then you still need your fill valve (QC or schrader), various brass fittings, pressure gauge etc... It's a pretty tight budget.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: microman171 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:51 pm

Yeah I thought it might be. How about some kind of diaphragm (or piston, I dont really know which is better) 15mm? That was It shouldnt cost too much? And have reasonable power?

My 25mm Barrel, 50mm Chamber wasnt exactly great. I am hopeing for some good power, not a high caliber. I used to have a Coke bottle ball valve and that was great with 1/2 inch grapes.

I think with my budget, 1/2" woud be a fine barrel, as long as I can get some good power out of it.

If cost would permit, interchangable barrels would be cool, but not necessary.

microman171
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:13 pm

microman171 wrote:Yeah I thought it might be. How about some kind of diaphragm (or piston, I dont really know which is better) 15mm? That was It shouldnt cost too much? And have reasonable power?

My 25mm Barrel, 50mm Chamber wasnt exactly great. I am hopeing for some good power, not a high caliber. I used to have a Coke bottle ball valve and that was great with 1/2 inch grapes.

Sounds like your piston/diaphragm wasn't very well made. Pistons should never even come close to comparing with most ball valve guns in terms of power.

A 2" chamber is over kill for 15mm barrel, a 1.5" one would be just as good. A 1m chamber and a 1.2m barrel should have pretty damn good power with a piston or diaphragm. My favourite ammo with a 15mm barrel are paintballs and fishing sinkers.

Check trademe for PVC pipe as well, I nabbed 6m of 20mm and 6m of 15mm pressure rated PVC for $6 each incl delivery.

I'd go with a piston though, I just find diaphragms harder as you have to use a union with a co-axial diaphragm valve I think.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: microman171 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:49 am

Yeah I wondered about those diaphragm valves. Maybe if I was American I would give it a go...

Is there any maths i can do to determine power when volume, pressure, etc is given?

15mm barrel with a 1.5" chamber sounds good :-).

Time to start figuring out prices!

-Microman171

microman171
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:16 am

http://www.thehalls-in-bfe.com/GGDT/faq.html

Just download that. All the terminology and help with the various parameters and variables on the program can be found on that website too. So if you have a problem with it, check their first.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: microman171 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:19 am

Okay here are the figures and the stats:

Chamber
Gas: Air
Temperature: 70F
Pressure: 100psi
Outer Diam: 1.5"
Inner Diam: 0.75"
Length: 40"

Valve Data
Valve: Barrel Seal
Flow Coef: 45% (I wasnt sure on this one)
Seat Diam: .75"
Dead Volume: 0"3 (according to the FAQ co-axials have next - to no dead volume?)
Piston Diam: 1.5"
Piston Mass: 1 oz ( I played around with this one and it didnt - change anything?)
Vent Diam: 0.2" (I think this is the Diameter of a blowgun?)
Pilot Volume: 1.8" (If I have 1inch of extra space including - bumper)

Barrel Data
Bore: .23"
Length: 47"

Projectile Data
Friction: 0.5 psi
Mass: 5 gram (small grapes)
Diameter: .6"
Initial Posistion: 0" (not exactly 0 in but close)

Results
Travel time: 12ms
Pressure Drop: 21.4psi
Muzzle Energy: 60.4ft*lb
Muzzle Velocity: 594 ft/s

I dont know how realistic these results are but imagine a grape at 594ft/s, that's 650km/h!

If this gun cost less than $100 to build I will be very please to say the least!

-Microman171

microman171
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:24 am

Flow Coef is probably closer to 30-35%
Dead volume - Correct
Piston Mass - As long as it doesn't weigh like a kg or two, it'll be fine
Vent diam - .1 is a blow gun, .2 is a modded blow gun I think. I'd recommend at least a 1/4" ball valve, 1/2" or 3/4" would be better though. A blow gun wont cut it.
Pilot volume - Don't worry too much about this, as long as it's not too big you should be fine.

Bore: If you're going with a 15mm barrel, it'd be .75", you've already said that the seat diameter is .75" anyway.

Proj Diameter: Again, if you're going with a 15mm barrel, you'd find grapes as close as possible to the diameter, so probably .75" again.

Velocity sounds a bit optimistic maybe (flow coef is too high), it'd be around that range though.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: microman171 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:49 am

The barrel diameter was supposed to be .6" (I was trying out BB diameters too)

After re-adjusting the parameters I still get >500 ft/s.

Now with your knowledge, how much do you think this gun my set me back?

1m 15mm Pressure Pipe
    1m 40mm Pressure Pipe
    40mm x 15mm Pressure Reducer Bushing
    40mm Pressure Female Adapter
    40mm Pressure Male Thread Plug
    1/4" x1" brass nipple
    1/4" T
    1/4" Ball Valve
    Schrader Valve (Hopeing this is 1/4" too)

I dont need a gauge as my pump has one. I am not asking for an exact pricing, just a guestimate. Then I can either make cut backs, or I can start saveing and get everthing priced up.

Thanks for all of your help MrCrowley :-D

-Microman171

microman171
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:57 am

1m 15mm Pressure Pipe - $10
1m 40mm Pressure Pipe - $18
40mm x 15mm Pressure Reducer Bushing - $10
40mm Pressure Female Adapter - $10
40mm Pressure Male Thread Plug - $10
1/4" x1" brass nipple - You'll have to go 1"x1/2", then 1/2" by 1/4", this will cost probably $15 for both.
1/4" T - these are quite hard to find, i've only seen them online for about $16.
1/4" Ball Valve - these are like $8, i think there's one on trademe. I'd go with 1/2" though. It'll save you money as you wont need the 1/4" tee.
Schrader Valve (Hopeing this is 1/4" too) - A threaded one, i've never seen in NZ. I got mine in America. You'll have to use a Quick Connect for an air compressor, they're about $8

All prices from a plumbing merchant, just look one up in the yellow pages, they'll have a trade place out back. Master Plumber or similar are usually good.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: microman171 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:11 pm

Wow Thanks :-). So a merchant will be better than Bunnings andthe like, or an actual plumber?

I dont have a quick connect, but I do have a 3/4" threaded schrader. I have epoxied a valveless car tire one in.

I also dont have an air compressor, but maybe I could get another car tire schrader, and epoxy it to the outside? Not so sure on that. I do have a very limites set of brass parts, female 3/4" T, Various Nipples, 1/2" ball valve if I do some 'grave robbing' and steal the one off the Bazookair.

Would it be better if I used a threaded reducer instead of a plug? That way I can screw parts in easier? Those threaded plugs are 'deep dish'

I would get the 40mm to 20mm?(3/4") pressure threaded reducer.

Once again thanks for all of your help :-)

-Microman171

---[UPDATE]---
I have threaded together the brass fittings needed for the exhaust. I now have a 3/4" pilot!

What would make an ideal piston? Remembering I have (up for change) a 1" x 1.5" pilot volume, and the bumper needs to go in there too. I was thinkings the same shape as the last one, just maybe a smaller aersol cap? My previous shape was a deoderant lid with the sealing face on the inside.

microman171
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion