Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 70 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 66 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Silencing BB guns

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Silencing BB guns

Unread postAuthor: zac_sraw » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:21 am

Hi i am going to make a bb gun but i have never made one before and i was wondering how much sound they make.
I want to make a silencer for aesthetics but if a bb gun makes a lot of noise then i would like to know a good way make a silencer that actually gets rid of sound... not just looks good :D

zac_sraw
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:25 am

It depends what sort of BB gun you're making. If you're using compressor pressures, say up to 120 psi, it's usually hardly worth the effort of making a suppressor. It's when you go into the higher psi ranges (300 psi+) using fast valves that things get annoyingly loud.

You can avoid making a suppressor however using the SWOS principle, that is to say using a small chamber volume in proportion to your barrel, though this would require a relatively long barrel for decent power.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: SP00K » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:25 pm

There are many different places in which to look for silencers.

Behind them however, is all the same concept. They are a ported extensions of barrel that have an insulated shroud surrounding this ported part. Much of the noise is blah blah blahblahblahblahblah

Here's a link I liked from instructables.com

Now, I realize you're making a bb gun, but this will give you the best general idea on how to build one. It gives a good base plan to start off and compare with.

By the time you read this I am guessing you've already found one though.

SP00K
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion