Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 63 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 61 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

holes in copper pipe

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
holes in copper pipe

Unread postAuthor: raptorforce » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:41 am

can you make holes in copper piping then put in some tubing and seal it with epxoy. Would that hold watever psi copper pipes are taken up to?

Where do you buy QEV valves from

raptorforce
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread postAuthor: Eddbot » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:51 am

depends on the tube you put in...

http://www.mcmaster.com/

:edfirst:
Eddbot
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: cheeseboy » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:02 am

depends, would it be easier to use a tee? but never underestimate the strength of epoxy, as long as it isn't 5minute dry stuff the joints will be very strong. as for the QEV, if your American use Mcmaster but if your proudly Aussie :D use bellpro.net, out of curiosity are you making a bbmg?

cheeseboy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Gippeto » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:09 am

More information would be needed.

How big is the hole?

How large is the contact patch of the epoxy?

What are the tensile and adhesion strengths of the epoxy?

Is this a flowing gas situation, or will the joint be exposed to full static pressure?

Specify a pressure, don't leave it to imagination. Copper pipes are used to a wide range of pressures on this forum.

Where to buy a qev depends on where you live. :roll:

Supply the needed information, and someone may be able to help you.

"It could be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others" – unknown

Liberalism is a mental disorder, reality is it's cure.
Gippeto
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: raptorforce » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:36 am

cheeseboy wrote:depends, would it be easier to use a tee? but never underestimate the strength of epoxy, as long as it isn't 5minute dry stuff the joints will be very strong. as for the QEV, if your American use Mcmaster but if your proudly Aussie :D use bellpro.net, out of curiosity are you making a bbmg?

is there any place like a real store not an online store to buy QEV valves.

maybe i could use a tee wats the smallest hole size for a tee.
then what valve shouldi seif i cant get a QEC valve.
What epoxy shouldi use

and no im not makng a bbmg trying to make a semi auto pneumatic with a blow forward design. somehow it blows forward when i fire it and if i can attach a spring then im all set... stupid home depot said they have springs but they didnt.

this is off topic but should pneumatic cannons at 100psi be loud because when i shot it makes my ears hurt is this supposed to happen and i am building a silencer for it since its so loud

p.s how do you add pictures

raptorforce
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread postAuthor: Eddbot » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:52 am

You need some periods...and some commas...

You also need to do some research before you jump into it with a blow forward design, especially if you don't fully understand how it works.

And if you knew what you were building, you would know that you don't need a QEV with a blow forward.

Pic How-To

I suggest reading the whole Wiki before endeavouring on this design, I also suggest searching for some other cannons that use the design you plan on building.

And no, QEVs aren't really available in hardware stores and the like, maybe if you found an industrial supply story they might have one.

:edfirst:
Eddbot
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:12 am

If you are into epoxy and holes then try and build a hammer valve with a trigger mech to go with it, just realizes it is very difficult at times to do so and nothing for some one unexperienced(i figure i shouldnt be doing it then...oh well). If you dont know what a hammer valve is then google "Explosive air release valve". Or you could build a piston valve, similar to a QEV just home made.

P.S. Read the wiki for info it helps alot, it sure helped me atleast.

"Did you ever stop to think that out of the seven deadly sins envy is the only one which doesn't give the sinner even momentary pleasure"-George Will
john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: raptorforce » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:26 pm

john bunsenburner wrote:If you are into epoxy and holes then try and build a hammer valve with a trigger mech to go with it, just realizes it is very difficult at times to do so and nothing for some one unexperienced(i figure i shouldnt be doing it then...oh well). If you dont know what a hammer valve is then google "Explosive air release valve". Or you could build a piston valve, similar to a QEV just home made.

P.S. Read the wiki for info it helps alot, it sure helped me atleast.

when you build these valves how long does it take, what tools are required. is it hard to make

raptorforce
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread postAuthor: raptorforce » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:31 pm

Eddbot wrote:You need some periods...and some commas...

You also need to do some research before you jump into it with a blow forward design, especially if you don't fully understand how it works.

And if you knew what you were building, you would know that you don't need a QEV with a blow forward.

Pic How-To

I suggest reading the whole Wiki before endeavouring on this design, I also suggest searching for some other cannons that use the design you plan on building.

And no, QEVs aren't really available in hardware stores and the like, maybe if you found an industrial supply story they might have one.

then i was trying to add pics correctly but when i click add attachment its says the file you have tried to upload is empty

raptorforce
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:41 am

It takes me 2-5mins, tools required are only a hand drill, and electric makes work a little faster. You need either super glue and a soldering torch or just super glue. Then you need stoper, spring a small screw, a tiny drill bit, a male hose connector(though i just use a piston), and a copper tube that fits snugly through the male connector. Just read the instructables on it, it makes things alot more clear:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Airgun- ... ase-Valve/

"Did you ever stop to think that out of the seven deadly sins envy is the only one which doesn't give the sinner even momentary pleasure"-George Will
john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion