Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 52 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 46 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: anello, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

10 second semi auto valve

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 

So what do you think

AWSOME!!!
33%
its ok
22%
WOW, y did you even post that
44%

Total votes : 9
  • Author
10 second semi auto valve

Unread postAuthor: dudeman508 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:49 pm

I know this isn't technical a hammer valve but it serves the same basic purpose. It works because the screw i put in the male quick connect it pressed in the the air and lets air go in and fill the nipple, so that when the valve opens just the air in the nipple is released and when it is closed it fills back up again.

so i am also planning to use it to made a big semi auto bb gun.

For some reason i cant get the two vids to work it try again later.

Attachments
DSC06848.JPG
the set up
DSC06868.JPG
the hole thing
DSC06871.JPG
the damage(after i added the barrel)
Last edited by dudeman508 on Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dudeman508
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: pizlo » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:22 pm

You basically made a check (one way only) valve, and air comes in cant get back, you fire it out the other end and then it fills again?

pizlo
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: Hailfire753 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:31 pm

Uhh, I don't see how that is semi auto w/o another valve?

UPDATED MARCH '08
field-legal paintball semi
Hailfire753
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: Braddubya » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:45 pm

i think I get it. It just allows a short bust when you push the lever before it seals itself up again inside that brass collar. Right?

Why not just push the lever down for a split second that would do the same thing.

Braddubya
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: dudeman508 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:12 am

Hailfire: It works becouse the screw seals the nipple enought for the valve to only fire the air that is already in the nipple, so then the air can leak back in, and, be fired again.

Braddubya: you are right that is how it works, and if i did that i would be a real hammer valve but i would need some sort of mechanicle mechanism to push it fast enough and this is a lot simpler and easyer, plus i could aply thos same two parts to bigger guns with better valves.

dudeman508
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: sputnick » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:55 pm

I don't think I understand, so you put a screw in to a quick connect nipple, then air comes in from the "pointed end" of the screw, the air moves the screw to open into the nipple and fills it with air?

If that's the case, then if you left the valve open, wouldn't air just flow through it anyways? that would seem rather pointless to me, why not just ditch the screw? as you described,
when the valve opens just the air in the nipple is released and when it is closed it fills back up again

I think that it is not just the air in the nipple being released, but just a constant flow of air coming through.

A hammer valve wold be if you put the screw in in such a way that when pressure is applied, it seals the nipple preventing any air going in, then only when the screw is struck by a HAMMER* -keyword there- it opens for just a split second allowing air to flow through.

If the only thing that restricts the air flow is how long you open the valve, then there is no real semi- auto capability that was not present before.

Sorry dudeman, but this is not a hammer valve, and you will not be able to make a semi auto with it.

sputnick
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:07 pm

The fill nipple forms another chamber. When the air is passed through the firing valve, it forces the screw to close off the main chamber, allowing only the air in the nipple to be exhausted. When he releases the trigger valve, the nipple fills back up.

I get it, dudeman, but it may not hurt to show a diagram or animation of it to better help explain.

I think this is a wonderful design (a) because it seems to work (could probably work a lot better with some more time and thought) and (b) it is so simple. This makes for a very simple semi-auto BB or Nerf gun and, by applying it to a larger scale, could be used, well, on a larger scale...

Great work dudeman.

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: sputnick » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:12 pm

Hubb, If that is how it works, then what moves the screw back after he has released the valve? there would still be a chamber with no pressure, so the screw would still be pressed against the nipple sealing it, untill it leaks so much as to fill it again, and then there would be equal pressure, meaning the screw woulod have no pressure moving it anywhere.

So then it is still not a hammer valve, just a small chamber that has very limited flow to it, and i imagine it would take a relatively long time to fill the nipple, so it would hardly be a "as fast as you can pull the trigger" deal.

sputnick
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:44 pm

Seeing as how he has no seal around the screw, the pressure will equalize from the main chamber to the nipple area, sort of like an equalization hole. Also, because the nipple is so small, it will not take it very long to fill the nipple.

This design, as mentioned above, can have improvements. A spring and seal would do this wonders.

As far as it being a hammer valve, I do agree. Nothing is striking a pin to open the valve. I think he was referring to how it moves back and forth, like a hammer valve would.

Another thing it could be, is that the screw doesn't move at all. It just allows the nipple to fill slowly and, by dumping the air quickly, it releases only the nipple air. Yes, some air would be lost from the main chamber in this process, but it would be so minuscule that it would not be noticed (again, not technically a hammer valve).

In this method, the "semi-auto" comes from the fact that it will not take the nipple very long at all to refill.

Either way, I think the design is noteworthy.

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: sputnick » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:03 pm

Hubb, did you even read my post? it is counter intuitive to think that the screw moves back and forth, the only way it would do that would be if there was a spring, which there is not, or there was greater pressure infront of it, then behind it, which also there is clearly not. All he has done is made a plug to mainly reduce the airflow to the nipple, you could just block of the flow, then place a small hole and achieve the same result.

This is not a case of ingenuity, it is a case of mislabeling, misunderstanding and false claims.

sputnick
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: dudeman508 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:44 pm

ok so i renamed it for you sputnick, and i was also going to add an o ring but i dont have one the right size right, and i am still not sure if the o ring would seal it completely. I was also aware that it isn't a hammer valve but it serves the same function and i didn't really know what it was.

dudeman508
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Sticky_Tape » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:53 pm

Wow I never would have thoght of that great work. NOW MAKE A BFB! lololzz!!!!!\

You can tell how awesome a cannon is by the pressure used.
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/high-pr ... 12803.html
xnt rnm ne z ahtbg
Sticky_Tape
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion