Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 79 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 73 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], farcticox1, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Hammer/blowgun valve

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Hammer/blowgun valve

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:11 pm

Ok, i think i have been going on about my valve for long eanoth without showing anything so here i go:

I made the valve for my next project, it is a simple hammer valve which is hand operated making it a blowgun(just to make things clear as saying i built a blowgun might confuse people). It is made from an alumium pipe, a copper inner pipe(as i call is, if you find the right vocab i am happy to edit), a compression spring, a nut, epoxy, a screw, solder and super glue. It took about three days to make because of the epoxy drying times and my school work but i spent about 30mins on it over all. Tell me what you think, and yes i know i have to add an O-ring, a paint job and a trigger(which will be conected to it as soon as i get the time). All imput appriciated.

"Did you ever stop to think that out of the seven deadly sins envy is the only one which doesn't give the sinner even momentary pleasure"-George Will
john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: sputnick » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:30 pm

Sorry, I don't get it... could you give an internal diagram, I know there has been lots of talk about it, being hand operated and whatnot, but I just don't understand...

EDIT forget that, I see it now, But are you sure it is going to be "hand operated? you could probably make it better by using an actual hammer or bolt...

Add me on MSN to chat about whatever!
sputnick
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:47 pm

Ok i made a quick sketch on paint to explain, see disciption for explaination(no duh). I made the diagram in 2mins on paint and the discription may be confusing, tell me if you need more and i will try and make a better hand made diagram(labled) for tomorrow.

Attachments
diagram of hammer valve.jpg
The long thing is a screw, folowed by an O.ring both munted on the inner tube. The inner tube glied through an epoxy block, behind the bloch there is a hole and a sprin, the spring pushes the screw and O-ring against the epoxy and provides a seal. If the trigger is pressed the hole (blue dot) is pushed behind the block and air rushes in and out the inner tube to the barrel.
diagram of hammer valve.jpg (17.87 KiB) Viewed 1592 times
"Did you ever stop to think that out of the seven deadly sins envy is the only one which doesn't give the sinner even momentary pleasure"-George Will
john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Brian the brain » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:53 pm

I get pretty sick of people not understanding the most basic of valves..( boy that came out mean.I'll eat your mother too!! :D )

Sorry...I'll work on it..

So yeah.well..basically ..A diagram would help..a lot of guys out here

It should be in the spudwiki!

Brian the brain

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:58 pm

I agree to you BTB 100% and once suggested that hammer valves shoudl be on the wiki, my suggestion was forgoton, hammer valves arent used alot(besides on most commercial airguns and blowguns) and even less are built but really the principle funstions are simple to understand and in the end most valves work similarly, there being two main types, the ones where somethign is tuned or opened manually and the ones where a seal is rapidly taken away to alow air flow, i think burst disks are another category al together.

Thanks for the comments every one, i hope i get some imput to :wink:

john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Brian the brain » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:59 pm

Wait...
I use them to achive repeating QEV action...

Brian the brain

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:08 pm

Well you have to admit not too many people use them, and if then more experienced members which are maybe 20people all together, so no they are not in the top 3 or so valves and if people have difficulties understanding pistons(i did) you cant expect them to understand hammer valves.

john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:59 am

I dont mean to double post or anything but i would like some input on this, until now all i got was questions and a lil of topic discussion with btb, comon what do you think, is it any good. Could i improve it in some way. Do you mant more diagrams? Just comment, giv eme advice, opinions questions, anything... :)

john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: sputnick » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:51 pm

Well I must say, I don't believe this counts as a hammer valve because it is missing just that, a hammer. I do think this is a very good way to trigger a sprinkler or piston, but the whole point of a hammer valve is to release a burst of air, from the very quick slam of a hammer, that can not be rivaled by just pulling your finger.

I think it is a great idea though, a much easier hold and trigger, you could make a great gun with that.

sputnick
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:46 pm

I know this topic is gettign a little old but i have another questions to all those who understand how my valve works and are experienced with crafting:

After trying several times with epoxy i just annot seem to be able to attach the trigger to my valve without breakign it of every time i pull the trigger. Everythign moves alright but the trigger needs to be connected in a way it will hold about 20kg of force. Welding or brazing is no option as the epoxy on either end of my valve would get damged. I though of JB welding but am keen to hear other ideas.

john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: sniper hero » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:03 pm

I don't know where your trigger is made of but if you can weld try welding it on a longitudinal cut in half pipe with a little bigger diameter than yours
then epoxy it on
I hope you get the point :D

proud member of dutch spud clan
coming: semi auto pellet sniper:D
sniper hero
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: sputnick » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:06 pm

Super glue could work, if you applied a fair amount and gave it PLENTY of time to dry, I could not testify as to the power of jb weld, but I have heard it is extremely strong, at 10$ for those little tubes it better be worth it...

sputnick
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:18 pm

I am using an alli trigger which i still have to make

john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion