Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 78 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 74 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Beer tap connectors.

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Beer tap connectors.

Unread postAuthor: SubsonicSpud » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:53 am

G'day All,

This is my first post on the forum but i have been watching for quite some months now. I am in the process of making a new air rifle and have discovered that the connectors, one way valves, beer taps and other components from pub beer systems can make some very useful components :twisted: Managed to acquire a box full of beer tap bits from work a while ago and there are all sorts of small spud gunning goodies.

Here is a few photos of the small piston valve i have been making the last few days.

The air chamber will be plumbed into the coupling in between the piston and the valve.

The piston is seated in a short length of copper pipe which was a press fit inside the connector.

Here is a close up of the piston/valve. They are both made from the one way valve shuttle out of a beer system, the piston just having the sleeve cut off. Image

I have yet to put a pilot valve on the system but i should have that done in the next few days, then i can test the valve. :P

SubsonicSpud
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Gippeto » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:51 pm

Looks quite promising. :)

I assume you're keeping the sleeve for a piston guide? It will cost you some flow.

If you don't need it (hard to say for sure, but you likely don't), I'd get rid of it.

Welcome. :)

"It could be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others" – unknown

Liberalism is a mental disorder, reality is it's cure.
Gippeto
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: SubsonicSpud » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:59 pm

The sleeve on the valve is required for it to seat properly, but i do intend on shortening it. Hopefully it should not cause too great a loss in performance.

Thanks for the welcome

Update:

Well I soldered a schrader valve into the copper reducer to use as a filler and pilot valve for testing, it actualy worked. The valve seated well and did not leak (held it under water when pressurised). I'm definatly going to need to put a small pressure tank into the side of the cylinder to increase capacity, wish i didn't plug up the hole in the side of it now :?

SubsonicSpud
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion