Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 48 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 42 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], jimmy101, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

quick question:revolvers

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
quick question:revolvers

Unread postAuthor: grock » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:18 am

you guys all know that paintball revolving shotgun thing that won first place on that contest? the one on the spudfiles homepage? i was thinking of making a scaled down one for airsoft, but how tight is that seal between the valve and the shell and the shell and the barrel? is it airtight or just close or not at all? plus, if i wanted to make a combustion one, how crucial is the airtightness? seems really important to keep my hands safe

Thanks

grock
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Lentamentalisk » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:31 am

Ummm... No.
Unless you have complete access to a machine shop, you can just give up now...
Combustion, there is no way in hell you are going to figure out a more simple solution to the stale gas problem, than just using CO2, so forget about it.
As for airsoft, I am not sure what you mean. The Eclipse (the gun you are referring to) was basically at airsoft scale. You could put anything in the cartridges, including airsoft pellets.

Try something that will cost you less than $1000 for your first few cannons...
Not trying to be a downer here, just being realistic.

Do not look back, and grieve over the past, for it is gone;
Do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come;
Live life in the present, and make it so beautiful that it will be worth remembering.
Lentamentalisk
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:32 am

It's easier for people if you list it. I assume this is what you are speaking of: Solar's Eclipse 40mm semi-auto

Keep in mind that his gun went through many design phases and has a lot of work put into it, and used a lot of precision tools. If you pmed solar (I don't think he's that active) he may give you some info on it, but he may be reluctant as he has patents pending for it.

Judging by the ammo he was using, and the extreme level of precision it would most likely be airtight to improve power and efficiency. A combustion cannon may run you into trouble on airsoft/pb fields with noise or flammable mixtures. I'm unsure on rules, but they'd vary from club to club. It would need to be airtight, or very close to it otherwise or you will waste a lot of power, and a combustion flame hitting your hand will throw your aim off.

Take a look at Revolver X

Agreeing with the above post. Without good cadding capacities and thousands of dollars or a mill/lathe, give up.

Just remember, something with that level of complexity may be out of the reach of the average new member.

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: grock » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:41 am

actually, i do have acess to a CNCd verticle mill, horizontal mill and a CNCd mill, as well as every manual maching you ccan name

grock
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Brian the brain » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:24 pm

Than contact the builder.He uses a positive pressure piston to seal the barrel to the cilinder I believe.He could tell you all you need to know.

Brian the brain

Unread postAuthor: sniper hero » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:51 pm

I'm curious to see a result
I'm not convinced you can build it but you seem to have the right machinery.
you might want to try a simple piston gun first :wink: if that works out try your idea :D

proud member of dutch spud clan
coming: semi auto pellet sniper:D
sniper hero
Captain
Captain

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:58 pm

Actually, you guys have loosely described my current project, which is basically a cross between HEAL and the Eclipse, which would be about airsoft size - at least, if it were shortened a little.

Not quite as sophisticated, (and with a few alterations of my own) as I haven't the machinery, but similar in principle. However, not simple either.

inonickname wrote:If you pmed solar (I don't think he's that active) he may give you some info on it, but he may be reluctant as he has patents pending for it.

Well, mostly, he's busy rather than inactive. He has a lot of work to do.

Judging by the ammo he was using, and the extreme level of precision it would most likely be airtight to improve power and efficiency.

I can tell you as much as it's not completely airtight, but efforts are taken to keep the leakage at the action to a minimum.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: dudeman508 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:48 pm

why not just make it a bolt action like thishttp://www.spudfiles.com/forums/deus-ex-machina-how-to-t8418.html you'll be abel to get rounds out of a clip to. I've recommended this to so many people I've favorited it. :D

dudeman508
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion