Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 64 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 60 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Nerf Vortec Magizine

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Nerf Vortec Magizine

Unread postAuthor: ssgnort » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:10 pm

Figured i would pic ya'll brains on this one.

My set up is a 2" barrel nerf launcher for paintball. 1" rain bird valve ( love that thing, better then ball valves.) With a blow forward bolt, spring return.

Question is has anyone thought of a magizine for the nerf vortec rockets. My problem on gravity feed or spring feed is the fins fall ontop another, and jams. Any thoughts are welcome.

ssgnort
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: roboman » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:13 pm

You could make a sabot type casing that would just encase the fins, and would prevent jamming.

roboman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: ssgnort » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:22 pm

Ahh true. I used sabot rounds for a 3 Inch water balloon cannon before. Problem was getting them back so we could launch more. Prop stealing hoes on the other side would pocket them.

ssgnort
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: Davidvaini » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:31 pm

I would do a spring fed magazine, but make sure to have the fits cut slightly so it fits better and easier into 2".

Also have the primary force of the spring towards the center of gravity of the Nerf rockets.

Davidvaini
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: thedeathofall » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:41 pm

I think it would be easier to modify the nerf rockets. Trim their tails. You would probably get faster loading with a spring fed magazine, but you are more likely to have jamming issues.
I still think Roboman has the best option though. Make a bunch of cheap, biodegradble sabots. Thick paper such as cardstock or newspaper rolled several layers thick and glued will probably do the job.

"I'm spending time without a gender for tax reasons. It's great if I get hit in the groin, but a total nightmare in the bathroom."

-Rag

Obsequium parit amicos; veritas parit odium.

-Cicero

thedeathofall
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: ssgnort » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:43 am

Saw this idea for a sabot. Looks like the best way for a mag fed for this ammo.

http://www.lonestarairsoft.com/forums/p ... rivate.php

ssgnort
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: SEAKING9006 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:57 pm

Mag fed? Forget about Man-Portable. You'd need a jeep for anything that fires nerf rockets from a magazine. Just make the shot count, and use a good breech design.

Completed projects:
CA1 SMSS Basic Inline
CA3 PDAB Airburst Cannon

Current Project: Bolt action rifle (25x140mm + 1in shot)

SEAKING9006
Colonel
Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: roboman » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:21 pm

SEAKING9006 wrote:Mag fed? Forget about Man-Portable. You'd need a jeep for anything that fires nerf rockets from a magazine. Just make the shot count, and use a good breech design.

It all depends on how big your mag is. Even if it only holds 3 or 4 rounds, that still allows for a better ROF than a breech would alone. Besides, assuming the rockets are about 2" in diameter, a 4 round magazine would only have to be about a foot long, to allow for the follower and spring.

roboman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: ssgnort » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:52 pm

Yea a magizine will be huge. The blow forward bolt works great now. Just hand loading ammo is a pain. Was thinking of taking a lock lid box and mounting it on top. Kind of like the ammo case for a saw machine gun but on top. So that the rounds are drop feed.

Whole point of this is for a tank main gun. Saw a guy on Youtube that made a 2/5th sherman tank.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlUbZhsx ... re=related

I want to do the same thing, diffrent tank version. Maybe a abram. But i want to perfect the nerf launcher, and build around it. Would hate to build the turret to small and have to remodify around it later.

The whole Idea of rolling up to a base and raining down say a hundred rockets, gives me a warm feeling. :twisted:

ssgnort
Private
Private

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion