Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 56 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 52 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Fridgy help

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Fridgy help

Unread postAuthor: sputnick » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:32 pm

Hey everyone, So after deciding to go ahead with it, I went out today and collected the fridge compressor.

2 hours and a very large cut across my arm later, I hauled the damned thing home. After looking at it, I realized how helpless I was looking at the many hoses and wires.

But hey, this is the first step towards some more high powered guns, and I had a few questions to help it get going

First off, Which of the wires would you speculate was the positive and negative , I'm pretty sure the red and white ran together into a plug at the back of the fridge, and the green was wired to the tray the compressor was bolted to. The black one went somewhere I couldn't see, so I just cut it to get the compressor out.

EDIT forgot to mention, the thicker pipe on top has had like oil leaking out of it, and I am pretty sure it is the only copper pipe, all the others are steel, but they all led to the coil on the back.

Next, Once I have that all sorted out, and I run it to find the input and output hoses (4 hoses, really, what the hell could they need all those for??) Then what could I use as a hose to transfer the 400 psi the whatever I'm filling, and where could I get my hands on one?

Thanks everyone, Now some pictures

Image Image

Add me on MSN to chat about whatever!
sputnick
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Brian the brain » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:31 pm

Basicly, the green is ground. The white and red seem to be positive and negative.Try it one way and blow a fuse , or get lucky right away.
That's what I did

I suspect the black one contains two cores, so it might have led to a switch.
Check if it does and connect the two cores to cancel out the missing switch.

All of the pipes can be cut down to 1.5" . It should have just one that gets pressurised, the rest take in air when you cut them.
Some where used just for filling the system with fluid, one is the return.

None of the other ones matter.You just need the one that blows.

Ofcourse, after you've got it to run, you'll know wich is wich, and you can plug the bottom ones, if nessesary, to keep it filled up to a point, with oil.

Brian the brain

Unread postAuthor: sputnick » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:36 pm

BTB, If I plug everything except the output, What will the input be :?

Also, what did you use as a hose on your compressor?

sputnick
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: starman » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:09 pm

The black wire is probably an icemaker control or power for the inside bulb, red and white AC voltage, green a ground.

Can't help you on the piping.

starman
Donating Moderator
Donating Moderator

Unread postAuthor: ralphd » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:09 pm

The two lines on the bottom of the compressor are oil coolers. Tip the compressor so those lines are up then cut and braze them shut. You only need the two on top. One is small probably 1/4 inch - that is the discharge or output. The bigger line is the suction or input, 3/8 inch. As far as the wiring....well green is ground...the wire going to the round disk under that plastic cover is your hot...the wire going to the terminal marked "R" is your neutral. By the way, I hope you salvaged a small round black tube. That is your capacitor, it's needed. Here are two links for that compressor...good luck.

http://www.embraco.com.br/portugue/prod ... /05005.pdf
http://www.embraco.com.br/portugue/prod ... /03032.pdf

ralphd
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: sputnick » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:40 pm

Ralphd,

You are my god right now.

That is going to help me more than anything else I could ever possibly come across.

THANK YOU

sputnick
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: ralphd » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:18 am

I'm in the HVAC business. I'm glad to help.

ralphd
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:39 pm

how come I've missed this thread... ?

sputnick please post some results ASAP I have to know how well yours work

@ralphd
could you elaborate on this ? what do you know about fridge compressors that can be useful ?? PM me if you don't want to highjack the thread but I am suppose that sputnick wouldn't mind that

Children are the future

unless we stop them now
POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: sputnick » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:03 pm

POLAND_SPUD: As soon as I hook up the power cable (god I hope the capacitor was inside the electrical box) then I can see whether it works at all, and then thanks to ralphd's diagrams (again, thanks a MILLION) I can plug the oil pipes and hook up the output.

Although my parents are very unnerved by my wanting to use upwards of 100 psi, so I will have to make sure everything is completely safe (although I would have anyways...) So poland, my question to you is, What kind of hose can withstand those pressures, how would I attach it to the (steel???) pipe, and what type of connection would I need to attach it to my cannons?

Thanks in advance!

sputnick
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread postAuthor: daberno123 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:27 pm

Try some hydraulic hose from McMaster. You'll need an adapter to get it to NPT though.

daberno123
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: maggotman » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:07 pm

i usaly brase 10mm copper pipe to the steel then use compression fitting would brake pipe work for this ?

maggotman
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Brian the brain » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:21 pm

@ spudnick
and you can plug the bottom ones, if nessesary, to keep it filled up to a point, with oil.

I see two bottom ones, and two higher up.
So that leaves two.

So I never suggested plugging em all.

I said only one matters, the one that blows.You can leave all the other lines open, but I suggest plugging the bottom ones so it can contain oil.
And to answer your second question; I used a gardensale find as my hose.It's heavy braded hose, probably from a CO2 fizz drink machine.

For the simple fact mine is a 240 volt machine, from a different type of fridge, I suggest you follow Ralphd's instructions.Seems he knows.

@ Ralph: couldn't you provide these comressors to the community then?

Brian the brain

Unread postAuthor: POLAND_SPUD » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:32 pm

you can buy an air hose rated to 20 or more bar but it is hard to find... (at least I had problems with finding it)

hydraulic hose should be easier to find and in a way safer but at the same time less safe (a pressure hase rated to 20 - 30 bar would be better becasue it would act as a sort of safety burst disk)

of course you can use an airhose to connect it to the outlet pipe by clamping it over the outlet pipe but it's not the best idea becasue the hose bursts exactly there 95% of the time (becasue of heat)

on mine I have two identical 1/2" female-male adapters screwed toghether with several rubber washers between them.... naturally when you screw one into the other the washers expand and the holes in them get smaller... I used it as a sort of compression fitting and attached it to (or rather around) the outlet pipe.. so far it works great - there are no leaks

the compression fitting joins to two 1/2" tee to which I attached a pressure gauge, BV and a female quick connect fitting

remember to add some valve for releasing air from the hose - quick connect fitting are almost imposible to disconnect at pressures above 20 bar (of course you would need an additional BV on your gun so it won't pilot when you vent the hose)

Children are the future

unless we stop them now
POLAND_SPUD
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: Brian the brain » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:18 pm

I use a one way valve in stead of the ballvalve.
Not only is it easier because you don;t have to manually close a valve, you canlt forget to close it either.

So it's safe and easy..

You could also use 1/8" hose from lithium greaseguns.That's strangly rated to 400 bar.
If you can find them, they are quite affordable.
I've sold them locally for that reason, but it would be too pricey in comparison to ship anywhere.

Brian the brain

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion