Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 62 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 57 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

coax barrel support help

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
coax barrel support help

Unread postAuthor: daniel323 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:51 pm

Hey

I am planning on building a coax piston gun

the chamber will be 1" by 24" copper pipe
and the barrel will be 1/2" by 32"

would i need a barrel support inside the chamber?

thanks

daniel323
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: dudeman508 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:06 pm

Ya you need a barrel suport to the barrel lies straits ad the piston has a flat sealing face. Ive seen a lot of people use cut up pieces of pipe

dudeman508
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: daniel323 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:46 pm

how do they cut them?

daniel323
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:16 pm

With a saw/dremel/hacksaw?

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: daniel323 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:45 pm

haha ok just wondering but how is it set up?

daniel323
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: dudeman508 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:59 pm

You could cut pieces of the pipe into a U sort of shape and place them under, or all around you barrel. Im not sure but i think you still have to glue them in (ive never made a coax.)

dudeman508
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: mark.f » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:16 am

Or, depending on the space between the outside of the barrel and inside of the chamber, you could use short lengths of tubing with said outside diameter.

mark.f
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:56 am

I like gettign electrical tape and wraping it around the barrel until i have the needed diameter, It is less messy than chppong things up and stuffing them into your chamber.

"Did you ever stop to think that out of the seven deadly sins envy is the only one which doesn't give the sinner even momentary pleasure"-George Will
john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Gippeto » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:10 pm

john bunsenburner wrote:I like gettign electrical tape and wraping it around the barrel until i have the needed diameter, It is less messy than chppong things up and stuffing them into your chamber.

And hey,..It reduces chamber volume to squat in the process. :?

@ JB: Do you have any pictures of your builds to put up? I'm curious to see them.

daniel323, you do need a barrel support. Picture a radiation warning sign.

LIke this;

http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/br ... 713541.jpg

Make your barrel support something like that. Place it 1/3 to 1/4 of the chamber length from the sealing end of the barrel.

"It could be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others" – unknown

Liberalism is a mental disorder, reality is it's cure.
Gippeto
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:18 pm

Now gippeto how hard would i have to wrap the tape?, i did it in current launcher and i have no problems...If you dont wrap it too tightly then the air can jsut rush by, f coarse it will give you a little loss but i doubt anyhtign major..Or if you have a small chaber put the tape at the end of it, which doesnt affect anythign at all...

"Did you ever stop to think that out of the seven deadly sins envy is the only one which doesn't give the sinner even momentary pleasure"-George Will
john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Gippeto » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:19 pm

john bunsenburner wrote:Now gippeto how hard would i have to wrap the tape?, i did it in current launcher and i have no problems...If you dont wrap it too tightly then the air can jsut rush by, f coarse it will give you a little loss but i doubt anyhtign major..Or if you have a small chaber put the tape at the end of it, which doesnt affect anythign at all...

Post a pic or put up a video then. All I've seen you post a picture of was the blow gun you started to make.

I don't believe I've seen a picture of it completed yet. :?

If you do as you suggest, the barrel is not supported. If you actually support the barrel by wrapping it in tape as you suggested previously, you will at best reduce the chamber size.

Otherwise, all you're accomplishing is to install a major flow restriction in your chamber.

I will say, your typed english is improving, but you should really try and use the SpellCheck button. :wink:

"It could be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others" – unknown

Liberalism is a mental disorder, reality is it's cure.
Gippeto
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:24 pm

Sorry i was typing quickly, mostly typos in my post I think, only words i always mis-spell is whcih writing it without an h. :oops: I changed plans about the blowgun valve gun changign its valves a bit, oh well you will see. I thought of what you said and i think oyu are right when it comes to larger chambers(my chamber is barely 3cm long). I used the tape to center the barrel and then poured a few cm of epoxy over, It works great for me, expect the gun in a mont or two depending when i get the stock done.

john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion