Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 52 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 47 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

sprink break proj, need some help

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: SEAKING9006 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:56 pm

Go to Fastenal. I have their HUGE catalog, I've ordered hundreds of dollars of pressure rated 3" fittings (on accident) and they don't cost more than they would if Home Depot sold them. Thing is, I now have a small inventory. An expensive one. And I felt bad about it, for a few minutes. But it wasn't MY money I was spending back then, so we all agreed it was a good thing.

Buy from Fastenal, their service is great (crap gets there when they say it will be there), their catalog is very large, and if you check there's probably one very close to you. Mines not outside three or four miles. =)

Completed projects:
CA1 SMSS Basic Inline
CA3 PDAB Airburst Cannon

Current Project: Bolt action rifle (25x140mm + 1in shot)

SEAKING9006
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: c11man » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:15 pm

flexpvc had better prices for most of the fittings and some very unusual ones as well (like a 2in coupler with a strainer built into the middle). only thing is that on some computers it will randomly delete things from the cart.

c11man
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: frankrede » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:38 pm

Lentamentalisk wrote:Even if you were to find pressure rated fittings and pipe that size, you would be looking at hundreds of dollars. For example, a 3" PVC tee, rated at 150psi (McMaster part number 46885K158) costs $56

edit: and it comes with a warning:

WARNING
Never use plastic pipe fittings with compressed air or gas.

but still, we do that all the time, as you can see...
Thats because that is mcmaster...

Current project: Afghanistan deployment
frankrede
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: chrissilvermancs » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:51 am

i would try to fine an ace or osh but to answer your questions

first i would go for one valve right now because (correct me if im wrong) it sounds like this is your first piston and taking on a 4inch tee is a big job but make sure if you do use your chambers to make a stand dont cheap out on the big parts and reduce it have the chamber the same size as the tee. lots of flow.

i agree you should do a 4inch tee if you want 3 inch porting (i personally think 4 inch tee is over kill my pison is in a 3inch tee porting 2" and i could piratically hit planes with tennis balls)

for the piston head if you want you can use wood my piston head is made out of wood but thats a lot of force so dont cheap out on wood my first one was made out of 1/4 inch wood it broke and shot out wile filling so now i have 1 inch thick piece.

i must say bumper is VARY IMPORTANT with out it the piston will brake through the other side (experience) especially on a tee that big i never got a spring to work i recommend getting rubber tubing and lining the outer edges of the back of the piston with it.

and for how far dose the barrel have to go into the tee there really is no certen distance i would at least have it a inch in to have room to shave it down in case its not flat. and dont let it pass the start of the middle opening of the tee.

and for interchangeable barrels just slap on(with pvc cement) a male adapter on the end of the piston and on every one of your barrels have female adapters. (sorry if you already know this)

this is my cannon its pretty similer to what you are planing on building
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/3-barre ... 17645.html

chrissilvermancs
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: c11man » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:46 am

i agree with chressilvarmancs about the only needing one valve. i have one 4inch with 3inch porting on the cannon i am building and ggdt says that i should be able to shoot a soda can full of cement weighing 500 grams at 450fps :lol: i also have the male and female adaptors for interchangeable barrels on mine. also if you do make a 4inch piston a 3inch coupler shaved down a bit fits PERFECTLY!!! and i just use a neopreme seeling face

c11man
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Previous

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion