Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 62 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 56 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: anello, Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Pump Action AA battery Gun

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Pump Action AA battery Gun

Unread postAuthor: MajTom » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:54 am

So I have been thinking about how to make a Pump Action AA battery gun and after searching the forums I have a few questions. I have a sort of preliminary design (see illustration below). I am still working out the actual pump loading mechanism, but I am sure that if I think about it long enough, I should be able to come up some way. I will probably make this out of PVC. I think that AA batteries would be good ammunition because I have sooooo many dead ones and they fit fairly well in 1/2" pipe. I would use larger batteries, but I would have a hard time finding a lot of dead ones. Anyway look at the diagram then I will explain.

The 1/4" Male plug is attached to a large air tank/air compressor. When you pump the hand grip back, the red and green squares, which will be the magnetic security system switches for windows and doors, will come close enough to activate the switch. This will open the solenoid valve and allow the chamber to fill. When you push the grip forward, the gun will "chamber" a round as well as move the magnetic strips far enough apart to close the solenoid. Pull the trigger on the blowgun and the sprinkler valve actuates, dumping the chamber. Repeat.

Will this work? I have never used a sprinkler valve in a gun before, but I have a piston golf ball gun. Also any suggestions on how to eliminate the electronics would be appreciated, but I cannot see any way around them. Finally, if anyone thinks of a mechanism that can load the batteries, do not be shy to share your idea. Also I appologise for the kinda crappy picture. I am not the best MS Paint artist.

Wow! As I was typing this, the AA batteries in my mouse died. Two more for my big box of dead batteries.

MajTom
Private
Private

Re: Pump Action AA battery Gun

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:38 pm

MajTom wrote:Also any suggestions on how to eliminate the electronics would be appreciated, but I cannot see any way around them.

You could do something like andremat's pump action, where the pump is directly connected by a rod to a ball valve that's opened as it's pumped back:
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/topic-t15589.html

You'll have to sort the layout though.

Finally, if anyone thinks of a mechanism that can load the batteries, do not be shy to share your idea.

What you're going to find is that it's not so much "shy" as "too lazy to come up with a diagram" or "Don't see why they should do the work for you".

Unfortunately, I don't know US PVC sizes very well, so I can't really give you any advice on what method to go with, because each one depends on different things.

~~~~~

Obligatory warning: Bear in mind, AA cells can leak some pretty nasty fluids if they're cracked open (what they'll leak depends on the variety). If you handle any split ones after you've fired them, make sure to wash your hands.

Also - totally irrelevant point... I can't abide wireless mice. Heavier, larger, more likely to have interference, more expensive...
I'm very much a wired person as mice go. It's not like that wire is ever a REAL problem.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:59 pm

You could simply attach the whole barrel to the pump, and by sliding the breech forward, making way for a new AA to pop in.
I wouldnt go with a solenoid. Mechanical approach will be more reliable, higher of flow and spare you some batteries. (There are other ways to get more empty AA's, no need to waste em)

AA batteries should be disposed in where they belong.
Just like rag said: they can leak nasty fluids.
Now I have to add that I once had a AA SQUIRT nasty fluids. Now this battery was fired with a good amount more powah, but it does point out that you should be careful.
Also they tend to get hot (internal reactions going crazy) after being deformed. Even if they're empty!

I'm using a wired mouse too. And when I did use wireless, I used rechargeable batteries. But wired is much more reliable. Also it is a security cord for when you drop the thing from your desk.

Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: MajTom » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:57 am

Thanks for your help guys.

That link was really helpful. A ball valve on a stick--both simple and elegant. I should be able to adapt it to my purpose and avoid the complication (and cost) of electronics.

As for the loading mechanism, I was not asking anyone to spoon feed me a diagram with complete explanation. I think most of the fun in spud guns is designing and building them, and I should have no problem designing a suitable loader. So if that came off as needy, I am sorry.

But that ball valve on a stick was exactly what I was looking for. And I will be especially careful about shooting batteries. I always have to be sure to pick up any projectiles because I have three dogs that will eat just about anything. So I will probably confine shooting this to indoor testing in the garage and outdoor testing outside their invisible fence.

Thanks for all your help. I don't know if this design will make it off paper, but I am putting a serious amount of thought into it and just wanted your opinions.

The wireless mouse is not exactly my idea of awesome. In fact, on the computer in my room that I built, I use an old school ball mouse (mostly because i got it for free). Its just that the wireless mouse came with our computer when we got it a few years ago and it hasn't died yet, so we have kept it. But speaking of a serious waste, even the keyboard is wireless. Who would need a wireless keyboard??

MajTom
Private
Private

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion