Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 62 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 58 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

10,000psi rated qev... Yes, I said 10,000psi

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: daberno123 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:23 pm

D_Hall wrote:While it *always* means it's expensive, "expensive" is a relative term. I've been shocked in both directions in such scenarios. IE, I've had experiences with "That's IT? Really?"

That would be nice if these turned out to be inexpensive.

For home use, a QEV that could handle unregulated CO2 would eliminate any desire to play with hybrids.

True a QEV that could handle unregged CO2 would be great, especially for those like BtB, but I wouldn't go as far as saying that it would eliminate any desire to play with hybrids, I'm sure that someone would use it up to its 10,000 psi pressure rating as a hybrid. :twisted:

Oh and I wasn't trying to suggest that normal QEVs could be used with unregged CO2, but that they have been proven to handle what your average spudder can put into them using a shock pump or fridge compressor (which very few of us actually have.)

daberno123
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: D_Hall » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:34 pm

Ragnarok wrote:People most certainly have used unregged CO2 in unmodified 125-150 psi rated QEVs.
I wouldn't, but it has been done.

Wow. I stand corrected... But I'll also file that one under "special class of stupid."

However, I doubt it would eliminate the desires, because CO2 at any pressure is not going to get you supersonic, and that's a lot of the appeal.

Sorry, I should have said that it would eliminate MY desire to play with hybrids.... And if I want to go supersonic, I just use helium in the same rig.

Simulation geek (GGDT / HGDT) and designer of Vera.
D_Hall
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:52 pm

D_Hall wrote:But I'll also file that one under "special class of stupid."

Given just the number of times I've seen you expressly state things to that effect on this forum, I envision a filing system like this...

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: jeepkahn » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:54 pm

D_Hall wrote:Sorry, I should have said that it would eliminate MY desire to play with hybrids.... And if I want to go supersonic, I just use helium in the same rig.

Funny, I was kinda thinking the same thing.... With light projectiles and a coupla thousand psi of helium, ggdt was going in the 3000fps range...

jeepkahn
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Brian the brain » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:30 pm

True a QEV that could handle unregged CO2 would be great, especially for those like BtB

*cough*

Gun Freak wrote:
Oh my friggin god stop being so awesome, that thing is pure kick ass. Most innovative and creative pneumatic that the files have ever come by!

Can't ask for a better compliment!!
Brian the brain

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:24 pm

D_hall wrote:Wow. I stand corrected... But I'll also file that one under "special class of stupid."

Its not that bad. Only the "piston" may fail.
I had 450 in such a QEV, no problems yet and even on 600 psi im sure the thing will be okay.
If I have the pressure, I would also try it with 60 bar (~850 psi).
I can get replacement pistons so it wont matter if it breaks.

Just make sure where you point at while filling the gun.

Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:36 pm

Does nobody see the potential for a 10,000 psi ultra small bore (bb's) filled from industrial cylinders (like oxygen used for welding)..sure it would be an expensive build and an expensive one to keep running...but anyway.

Also, what are you going to use for connections/pilot valves..maybe some hydraulic equipment would be rated that high.

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:14 am

Anything over 6000psi is very, very hard to get for the average person. Also that is the poin twhere you should just go hybrid. Another thing is that at these pressures and speeds a bb and most probably even a led pellet would just melt from the air resistance, or get deformed. The molen substance would then mostprobably take a flat shape and would be stoped qickly by its air resistance.

"Did you ever stop to think that out of the seven deadly sins envy is the only one which doesn't give the sinner even momentary pleasure"-George Will
john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jeepkahn » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:10 am

john bunsenburner wrote:at these pressures and speeds a bb and most probably even a led pellet would just melt from the air resistance, .

BB's, pellets??? I'm thinking this thing as a pilot for a 1500psi all steel coaxial...2" barrel....With helium as the gas of choice.... because in really high pressure pneumatics, the pilot can sometimes be the limiting link, pressure wise... :twisted:

jeepkahn
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:53 am

inonickname wrote:10,000 psi ultra small bore (bb's) filled from industrial cylinders (like oxygen used for welding.

hmm, first BB's and oxygen now no BB's and helium...I think we are still very unsure about what exactly todo with this...

Last edited by john bunsenburner on Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Did you ever stop to think that out of the seven deadly sins envy is the only one which doesn't give the sinner even momentary pleasure"-George Will
john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jeepkahn » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:19 am

john bunsenburner wrote:
jeepkahn wrote:10,000 psi ultra small bore (bb's) filled from industrial cylinders (like oxygen used for welding.

hmm, first BB's and oxygen now no BB's and helium...Excuse me but i am confused...

Me too, because you quoted inonickname, not me... The smallest bore I mentioned using these for was .50 cal...

inonick is the one that said bb's and ox....

jeepkahn
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: john bunsenburner » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:33 am

OOPs, sorry abou that jeep, must of gotten confused some how, i edited the post.

john bunsenburner
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: D_Hall » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:51 pm

Brian the brain wrote:*cough*

I'm interested. Got more than a picture?

D_Hall
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: D_Hall » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:53 pm

psycix wrote: im sure the thing will be okay.

If I had a nickle everytime somebody said that and I *personally* saw something absolutely grenade as a result?

Well, I wouldn't be rich, but I'd probably be able to buy lunch.

D_Hall
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:08 pm

I noted the use of ultra small bores for conservation of gas. Using up industrial gas cylinders at that pressure wont come very cheap, so preserve it as much as you can..surely?

Or you could go big bore low pressure..

Edit: by low pressure I mean a couple of thousand psi..

You could really use any cylinder filled to insane pressure..HPA/scuba..etc

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

PreviousNext

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion