Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 79 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 74 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Morter

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Unread postAuthor: Night Hawk » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:16 pm

I like the idea of having a switch at the bottom attaced to something like a solinoid. I dont have any pir's so the beam is out of the question. I was originally thinking of doing something hugely mechanically with neodinium magnets and a magnetic ammo, but discounted it.

Night Hawk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: biged » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:53 pm

One bit of safety advice. Make sure you have a way of discharging the Mortar just in case the round does not activate. A hang fire or "hung up" round would be very dangerous trying to clear.

///ed///

biged
Sergeant
Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:17 pm

biged wrote:One bit of safety advice. Make sure you have a way of discharging the Mortar just in case the round does not activate. A hang fire or "hung up" round would be very dangerous trying to clear.

///ed///

Besides fill time I have gone entirely to quick disconnects to replace tire valves. Remove the air supply and they quickly become safe.

***Edit, removed video. Was taking over threads.. Sorry :oops:

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Re: Morter

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:17 am

Technician1002 wrote:Sorry if I hijacked the thread for the quick dump valve and o ring discussion.

About half your posts contain references to the quick dump valve. I know that you really like the valve, but maybe you could stop doing it all the time.

Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Night Hawk » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:07 pm

Yeah im very safety conscious with things like this :D my initial idea was to use toungs to drop the round in at arms length so i can scarper fast :P

Night Hawk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: roboman » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:20 pm

Or, you could make a reusable projectile that housed a removable 12g CO2 cartridge. When you drop the projectile into the tube, a spike would puncture the end of the 12g, causing it to propel the projectile out of the tube. However, you would eat up 12 grams rather quickly.

roboman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: covey12 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:49 am

for my mortar i just used a burst disk, the ammo had a point on the bottom so when it hit the bottom of the barrel it pierced the disk, pretty simple and easy to make

covey12
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:54 pm

Moonbogg wrote:It could be done with a sensor inside the tube that triggers the valve when something crosses its beam. The wire could go through the barrel at the bottom and be sealed with epoxy. It wouldn't have to move in and out like the original design sketch shows. Just my thoughts. This thing would be cool.
To make the ammo slide down the barrel, you could make wooden sleeves or sabots that fit nicely and will slide consistently since a spud may get jammed. Perhaps even foam or something that won't fly far and can be retrieved.

Magnetic could work for a no holes solution. A magnet on a spring could trip a reed switch when pushed by the projectile.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Previous

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion