Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 64 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 60 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Morter

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Morter

Unread postAuthor: Night Hawk » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:46 pm

Ok guys, well as you can see my first project is under discussion, but im already thinking about my second. I plan to make a morter, that is basically a cannon that fires as soon as the round hits the base of the cannon.

What do you guys think? Would this work? My main concern is the blowgun valve not triggering the pilot.

Here is a sketch, animation to soon follow.

Attachments
Untitled-2.jpg
Morter
Untitled-2.jpg (23.59 KiB) Viewed 807 times

Night Hawk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:50 pm

It's gonna take some heavy ammo to achieve this. Then, you have to consider that the button will only be pressed for a very short amount of time, causing the valve to close fairly quickly, which takes away from the power. Not only that, but you have to find a way to seal your "trigger" as air will leak through there, also deteriorating the power.

Good to see some thoughts, though.

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Night Hawk » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:53 pm

But the airgun only needs to be opend for a second to release the pressure from the qev? I suppose another route is solenoid valves...

Night Hawk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: LCTChamp » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:55 pm

I don't think this idea will work very well. You could just make a cannon which uses burst disks. All you would have to do is put something sharp on the bottom of the projectile which would pierce the disk.

LCTChamp
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Unread postAuthor: Hubb » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:55 pm

You will get the same results with a sprinkler valve.

Once the button is released, this will cause the pilot area to refill, which will reset the valve. This sounds like a good thing, but if not all the air from the chamber gets to the round, not all the power is getting to it. And, from my experiences (yes, I have tried a very similar method) you will barely get any power at all.

Edit:
The guy above me wrote:I don't think this idea will work very well. You could just make a cannon which uses burst disks. All you would have to do is put something sharp on the bottom of the projectile which would pierce the disk.

Like this...

Hubb
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: Night Hawk » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:01 pm

Ahhh i see, so it would not be long before the piston in the qev is equlised again. Shame. I am reluctant to use burst disks to be honest.

Night Hawk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: LCTChamp » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:05 pm

Why would you be reluctant to use burst disks? They work great.

Hubb: I knew I had seen it somewhere, I just couldn't find it.

Edit: Spelling

LCTChamp
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Night Hawk » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:07 pm

Ahh i posted before i saw your link. I did search morter on the forums but drew a blank. The burst disks look ok actually. I think i just liked the idea of it all being totally mechanical.

Night Hawk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: daberno123 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:25 pm

A QEV plus a slide check valve would be pretty easy way to do it. Golf balls would be ideal for this.

Attachments
slidechecklever.JPG
Something like this...
slidechecklever.JPG (9.63 KiB) Viewed 750 times
daberno123
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Night Hawk » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:32 am

There will still be leakage on the right side of the leaver, unless i place that in a encasing

Night Hawk
Private First Class
Private First Class

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:26 am

Why not use a conductive ammo (or even put aluminum foil on the bottom), then have two leads that are completed by the ammo. This could actuate a sprinkler valve solenoid.

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:38 am

Actually its good to close your pilot valve quickly. This will conserve air as the chamber wont blow out as soon as the projectile leaves the barrel.
Its just like using a hammer valve on a QEV.
It will drain SOME power, but for 20% power loss you can get like 60% air conserving.

Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Carlman » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:12 am

heres a couple of my mortor threads mate, and i also made and did not post a marble mortor with 2 contacts in barrel and a non modded sprinkler valve. Worked a charm, just had the cmpressor on trickle into it (enough to fill chamber in 5 secs), and dropped a round in.

here
and
here

Aussie spudders unite!!
Carlman
Major General
Major General

Re: Morter

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:46 pm

Night Hawk wrote:Ok guys, well as you can see my first project is under discussion, but im already thinking about my second. I plan to make a morter, that is basically a cannon that fires as soon as the round hits the base of the cannon.

What do you guys think? Would this work? My main concern is the blowgun valve not triggering the pilot.

Here is a sketch, animation to soon follow.

I was wondering if the quick dump valve would be made just for this application. If a heavy object with a poor barrel seal is dropped in the barrel, it should be able to knock open the valve. The only downside is as the pressure is raised, there is more pressure on the o rings making the pull harder. I have triggered the large cannon by filling the barrel with water and carrying it. The weight on the valve set it off.

I just uploaded a video on using o rings on piston valves. Maybe this easy to move valve style which I don't dare load (except marshmallows) while under pressure would work. The demo of the force needed to open the valve is at about 4:30.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbDiZiRVrnk[/youtube]
The video is a little lengthy, but look at the section where I shake open a valve. Sorry if I hijacked the thread for the quick dump valve and o ring discussion. :D Look for my other thread on the quick dump valve if you need more info.
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/quick-dump-valve-t17858.html

For a true fat wall launcher, this could be built as a coaxial with the air chamber completely concealing the barrel and valve. :D

Last edited by Technician1002 on Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: Moonbogg » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:54 pm

It could be done with a sensor inside the tube that triggers the valve when something crosses its beam. The wire could go through the barrel at the bottom and be sealed with epoxy. It wouldn't have to move in and out like the original design sketch shows. Just my thoughts. This thing would be cool.
To make the ammo slide down the barrel, you could make wooden sleeves or sabots that fit nicely and will slide consistently since a spud may get jammed. Perhaps even foam or something that won't fly far and can be retrieved.

Moonbogg
Major General
Major General

Next

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion