Login    Register
User Information
Username:
Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 49 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 45 guests


Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Oh boy, I think I'm gonna blow my cannon apart!

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
    Message

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:42 pm

jmccalip wrote:Alright, I stopped by the local plumbing supply...

Do ya'll DWV freaks approve of this tee??? :wink:



The T, OK. Now about the glue you used to join PVC and ABS... Um what did you use :?:

Brownie points for the right answer.
  • 0

User avatar
Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff
 
Posts: 5190
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:10 am
Reputation: 14

Unread postAuthor: jmccalip » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:50 pm

Technician1002 wrote:
jmccalip wrote:Alright, I stopped by the local plumbing supply...

Do ya'll DWV freaks approve of this tee??? :wink:



The T, OK. Now about the glue you used to join PVC and ABS... Um what did you use :?:

Brownie points for the right answer.


Huh, I don't have any ABS? But I would say just use the multi purpose glue.
  • 0

User avatar
jmccalip
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:07 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:58 pm

jmccalip wrote:
Technician1002 wrote:
jmccalip wrote:Alright, I stopped by the local plumbing supply...

Do ya'll DWV freaks approve of this tee??? :wink:



The T, OK. Now about the glue you used to join PVC and ABS... Um what did you use :?:

Brownie points for the right answer.


Huh, I don't have any ABS? But I would say just use the multi purpose glue.


:oops: I assumed the black part was ABS.. It's marked PVC in the photo.. my bad. Use primer and ABS cement.
  • 0

User avatar
Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff
 
Posts: 5190
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:10 am
Reputation: 14

Unread postAuthor: jmeyer1022 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:25 pm

Technician1002 wrote:
jmccalip wrote:
Technician1002 wrote:
jmccalip wrote:Alright, I stopped by the local plumbing supply...

Do ya'll DWV freaks approve of this tee??? :wink:



The T, OK. Now about the glue you used to join PVC and ABS... Um what did you use :?:

Brownie points for the right answer.


Huh, I don't have any ABS? But I would say just use the multi purpose glue.


:oops: I assumed the black part was ABS.. It's marked PVC in the photo.. my bad. Use primer and ABS cement.


It's SCH 80 PVC, use PVC primer and glue. No need for ABS anything.
  • 0


jmeyer1022
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:50 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:28 pm

It's SCH 80 PVC, use PVC primer and glue. No need for ABS anything.


Awesome Great answer.. Brownie points... :D :D :!: :!:
  • 0

Last edited by Technician1002 on Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff
 
Posts: 5190
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:10 am
Reputation: 14

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:47 pm

Hmmm 3" SCH 80 ASTM D2567 NSF-pw PVC-1 2

I approve!
  • 0

Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
User avatar
psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 3684
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:12 am
Location: The Netherlands
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: jmccalip » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:51 pm

Ok, I'm going to glue the cannon today, and have it ready to fire tomorrow. I plan on making a 6ft chamber, and a 6ft barrel.

One last question. The 4" PVC pipe says SCHEDULE 40 NSF-PW 220PSI DWV. It's pretty thick stuff and cost $18.99. But is it DWV or schedule 40?

Here is a picture of the pipe text:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v61/s ... 0086-1.jpg
  • 0

User avatar
jmccalip
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:07 pm
Reputation: 0

Sponsored

Sponsor
 


Unread postAuthor: dewey-1 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:08 pm

jmccalip wrote:Ok, I'm going to glue the cannon today, and have it ready to fire tomorrow. I plan on making a 6ft chamber, and a 6ft barrel.

One last question. The 4" PVC pipe says SCHEDULE 40 NSF-PW 220PSI DWV. It's pretty thick stuff and cost $18.99. But is it DWV or schedule 40?

Here is a picture of the pipe text:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v61/s ... 0086-1.jpg


The pipe is sch 40 PW at 220 psi. It can also be used in DWV applications.

It is a dual rating system.

You can use PW in DWV applications but not the other way around, such as sch 40 DWV in PW applications. (PW potable water signifies a pressure usage)

DWV is a zero pressure rating. Think of sewer pipe in your house verses
the water faucet pipe.

Hope that makes sense to you.
  • 0

User avatar
dewey-1
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1298
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:24 am
Location: NE Wisconsin USA
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: SEAKING9006 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:17 pm

The Schedule is simply the thickness, it has naught to do with the pressure rating.
  • 0

Completed projects:
CA1 SMSS Basic Inline
CA3 PDAB Airburst Cannon

Current Project: Bolt action rifle (25x140mm + 1in shot)

SEAKING9006
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 734
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:20 pm
Location: Texas
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: psycix » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:06 pm

Though a SCH80 thickness will certainly hold a good amount of pressure at normal diameters.
  • 0

Till the day I'm dieing, I'll keep them spuddies flying, 'cause I can!

Spudfiles steam group, join!
User avatar
psycix
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 3684
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:12 am
Location: The Netherlands
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: jmccalip » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:28 am

Ok, I have most of the gun glued. Does it matter if I attach the tee directly to the chamber, or the elbow first? IE, the tee upside down or right side up.
  • 0

User avatar
jmccalip
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:07 pm
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:35 am

For clarification;

Schedule (Sch.) is a denotation of wall thickness, not pressure rating.

P.W. (Potable water) means water you can DRINK, by nature mains water is under pressure so this pipe is generally rated.

D.W.V. (drain waste vent) is for waste water. Is NOT normally pressure rated.

Henceforth, you should not find D.W.V. and P.W. on the same piece of pipe. NSF is national sanitary foundation.
  • 0

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
User avatar
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 2606
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:27 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: mark.f » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:54 am

Actually, you can find both ratings on a piece of pipe. Like dewey said, it can be dual rating. The NSF ratings are SANITARY ratings, meaning it is based on how fit each piece of pipe is for delivery of materials for human consumption. PW stands for potable water, which is basically drinking water. DWV stands for drain, waste, and vent, which means it's for handling drain-off, sewer, and vent applications. You can use PW pipe in DWV applications, although most of the time larger diameters of cell or solid-core DWV pipe are cheaper, so there'd be no reason to.

The pipe jmccalip has is well-casing pipe, which is also safe for pressure, since it has a pressure rating stamped on it.
  • 0

User avatar
mark.f
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 3464
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 11:18 am
Country: United States (us)
Reputation: 21

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:04 am

mark.f wrote:Actually, you can find both ratings on a piece of pipe. Like dewey said, it can be dual rating. The NSF ratings are SANITARY ratings, meaning it is based on how fit each piece of pipe is for delivery of materials for human consumption. PW stands for potable water, which is basically drinking water. DWV stands for drain, waste, and vent, which means it's for handling drain-off, sewer, and vent applications. You can use PW pipe in DWV applications, although most of the time larger diameters of cell or solid-core DWV pipe are cheaper, so there'd be no reason to.


Basically as said :wink:

Of course PW pipe can be used for DWV, but the cost effectiveness is poor. I was basically stating that DWV was for non pressure applications.

Though yes, it can be dual rated but if it's PW it will pretty much take DWV duties as it is. Not the other way round though.
  • 0

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
User avatar
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 2606
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:27 am
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: jmccalip » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:53 pm

Thanks, but about the question on tee placement.

Is this layout OK?

Image

I see a lot of people putting the tee on top, what is the reasoning behind that?
  • 0

User avatar
jmccalip
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:07 pm
Reputation: 0

PreviousNext

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]

Reputation System ©'