Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 58 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 53 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

witch pilot valve is the best

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
witch pilot valve is the best

Unread postAuthor: far_cry » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:36 pm

ok i have to know witch pilot valve is the best

a blow gun or hammer valve to pilot the barrel sealer that i want to build ?
because if it not have a pig different with the performance i will choose the blow gun
the pressures i talking about 400-1000 psi hpa
thanks

ImageImage
far_cry
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Sparkie » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:13 pm

Can you buy a blow gun rated to that?

What is a hammer valve...Google only gives me crap about half life 2 :x

Sparkie
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: covey12 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:21 pm

hammervalve, normal blow guns are pressure rated to only 125psi, i would use a hammer, but that is an extremely large amount of pressure, how big is your cannon?

covey12
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: covey12 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:22 pm

Sparkie wrote:Can you buy a blow gun rated to that?

What is a hammer valve...Google only gives me crap about half life 2 :x

youll have better results if you look on here rather than google, a hammer valve is homemade you cant buy them

covey12
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: far_cry » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:26 pm

is not so big
the barrel is 1 m long 8 mm in diameter

ImageImage
far_cry
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: covey12 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:28 pm

far_cry wrote:is not so big
the barrel is 1 m long 8 mm in diameter

not the barrel the chamber

covey12
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: far_cry » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:36 pm

the chamber is 60 cubic cm

ImageImage
far_cry
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Gippeto » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:05 pm

Far Cry;

A "standard" blow gun is not safe at 1000psi.

I've tested a few of the blowguns which I use on my projects, and will not use them past 450psi.

That is why I chose to pilot the co-ax with a hammer valve. A decent trigger pull was a bonus as well.

You could however, try a pressure washer handle. Most are rated in excess of 2000psi. :D

"It could be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others" – unknown

Liberalism is a mental disorder, reality is it's cure.
Gippeto
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:34 pm

I suggest not using witches, they're too temperamental to be pilot valves.
Stay away from warlocks for the same reason.

~~~~~

On a more sensible note, I would point out that hammer valves and blowguns are used for different reasons.

If you only need a single shot from the chamber, go with a pilot valve that will dump air efficiently for as much power as you can extract. If you need multiple shots, you'll have to go with the hammer valve.

Next I want to know is what former experience you have with successfully storing and handling lower pressures. So far, you have not provided a great many examples of your work, so I have a nagging doubt about whether it's sensible for you to be using pressures of the magnitude you're suggesting.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: Hotwired » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:53 pm

A hammer valve can give one shot if driven by a spring powerful enough to not only open the poppet through sheer force but hold it open until the gas pressure is exhausted.

I believe Gippetos hammer valve cannon works in that way. Also that he's going to have fun getting a spring setup to operate it at the designed pressure of 3000psi not the currently working 600psi. But best of luck :)

Back to here and now, a hammer valve will work for those pressures. As long as you can make it.

Blowgun... Well it probably won't fail due to the pressure but I personally would be dammed before I used a mass produced £2.50 aluminium valve created with the expectation that it would be used at no more than 150psi to guarantee the security of a cannon holding 1000psi.

What are you thinking of using it for anyway.

Hotwired
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: far_cry » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:16 pm

Gippeto wrote:You could however, try a pressure washer handle. Most are rated in excess of 2000psi. :D

thank you for the help and that good idea

Hotwired wrote:A hammer valve can give one shot if driven by a spring powerful enough to not only open the poppet through sheer force but hold it open until the gas pressure is exhausted.
What are you thinking of using it for anyway.

that exactly what i want "spring powerful enough to not only open the poppet through sheer force but hold it open until the gas pressure is exhausted" of course for the pilot area not the chamber

and i thinking of using it for air gun

Ragnarok wrote:If you only need a single shot from the chamber, go with a pilot valve that will dump air efficiently for as much power as you can extract. If you need multiple shots, you'll have to go with the hammer valve

you miss the point , i dont need hammer valve as main valve (pcp) , i just want it to pilot the piston valve fast and efficiently.

so Gippeto my question is , if i use hammer valve to pilot the piston valve ,did the performance increase than if i use pressure washer handle to pilot the piston valve????

ImageImage
far_cry
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:47 pm

far_cry wrote:you miss the point , i dont need hammer valve as main valve (pcp)

I know that - nothing I said is specific to that it being the main valve. It's possible to pilot a well made piston valve or a QEV with a hammer valve and still get the multiple shot characteristic of the hammer valve, by virtue of exhausting the pilot a bit at a time.

And in answer to your question - if you're dumping the entire pilot, there will be no functional difference between the power provided by the hammer valve piloting and the power provided by any other type of piloting, as long as one variety is not providing vastly more flow, which I can't see being hugely likely.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: i-will » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:22 am

check out what i posted just a few minutes ago. it's a mechanically triggered pop-off. if u use it for a single fire cannon then all that stuff i typed won't really apply to u. best of all it can have as high of a pressure rating as u need depending on how u make it (which is pretty simple and easy). it feels more like a real trigger. it opens instantly so u wont have to worry about opening a valve quick enough by hand for a proper pilot.
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/viewtop ... tml#242180

WHY PAY FOR IT WHEN U CAN MAKE IT?
i-will
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:38 am

Ragnarok wrote:
far_cry wrote:you miss the point , i dont need hammer valve as main valve (pcp)

I know that - nothing I said is specific to that it being the main valve. It's possible to pilot a well made piston valve or a QEV with a hammer valve and still get the multiple shot characteristic of the hammer valve, by virtue of exhausting the pilot a bit at a time.

By nature, a QEV is an avalanche type valve. Expecting it to suddenly close before the chamber has mostly emptied is a pipe dream. :D Ever stop pushing a pin in a balloon to stop a popped balloon only 1/2 way popped?

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: i-will » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:46 am

half pop a balloon? i'll try that. :lol:

WHY PAY FOR IT WHEN U CAN MAKE IT?
i-will
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Next

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion