Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 41 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 38 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

4" piston valve

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
4" piston valve

Unread postAuthor: grock » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:13 pm

my uncle and i designd this, all the parts are built, and just need to be assembled. its nothing special in terms of design, but it IS one of few 4" pistons, and is pretty nicely detailed. pictures and videos to follow after saturday (i only go to my uncles place on saturdays)

hey guys, i messed up a little, posting the pictures not only in a different thread, but a different forum. the pictures are here

http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/4-inch- ... 18112.html

normally id redo it on this thread, but my computer is all screwey right now

Attachments
4inch piston valve.JPG
4inch piston valve.JPG (39.72 KiB) Viewed 837 times
4inch pistonvalve 2.JPG
4inch pistonvalve 2.JPG (14.6 KiB) Viewed 837 times
pistonvalve cross.JPG
pistonvalve cross.JPG (12.78 KiB) Viewed 837 times
Last edited by grock on Mon May 04, 2009 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
grock
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: SubsonicSpud » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:22 pm

Nice :D what materials are you using in it?

SubsonicSpud

SubsonicSpud
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Gaderelguitarist » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:49 pm

That's a great idea to use an external bolting system, although a little cumbersome. What pressures are you planning on running this on?

Good thinking in designing the piston face. Few piston guns have the cone and it improves performance by directing air flow into the barrel more.

I can't wait to see the devastation this thing is capable of :twisted:

Gaderelguitarist
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:55 pm

SubsonicSpud wrote:Nice :D what materials are you using in it?

SubsonicSpud

Sweet. :D 4 inch, is that the piston OD or is that the valve seat orifice? :?:

I'm asking to compare to the 3 inch QDV I 'm working on. If you have a 4 inch orifice, watch the recoil. :shock: A 2 inch valve with a 3 inch barrel left me a nasty bruise and about knocked me on my butt. A 4 inch will need a better anchor at the same pressure.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: covey12 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:30 pm

wow thats huge, i cant wait to see that on a cannon, that would be huge to, or use it on a little cannon for comeplete overkill lol, have fun with that, how much did that cost, becuase a 4inch from spudtech is like 250 dollars, you might be able to make money off of that

covey12
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: grock » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:34 pm

the housing is a 4" PVC sch40 T, the piston is made out of PVC sheet turned round (coud have used rod but we didnt have any) connected by 2" PVC. the cone on the front is aluminum, and the external plates are also madu out of CNCd aluminum

grock
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:05 pm

grock wrote:the housing is a 4" PVC sch40 T, the piston is made out of PVC sheet turned round (coud have used rod but we didnt have any) connected by 2" PVC. the cone on the front is aluminum, and the external plates are also madu out of CNCd aluminum

So it is a 4 inch with 2 inch porting or for flow about the same as my t shirt cannon... It looked bigger on paper. :( On the bright side, the 2 inch kicks butt. :D I gotta get my 3 inch finished.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: SubsonicSpud » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:10 pm

Technician1002 wrote:
grock wrote:the housing is a 4" PVC sch40 T, the piston is made out of PVC sheet turned round (coud have used rod but we didnt have any) connected by 2" PVC. the cone on the front is aluminum, and the external plates are also madu out of CNCd aluminum

So it is a 4 inch with 2 inch porting or for flow about the same as my t shirt cannon... It looked bigger on paper. :( On the bright side, the 2 inch kicks butt. :D I gotta get my 3 inch finished.

I think it is actually 3" porting 8) , the 2" PVC I think he was talking about is the section that joins the piston face and the piston in the pilots area (the yellow parts)

SubsonicSpud
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:25 pm

SubsonicSpud wrote:
Technician1002 wrote:

I think it is actually 3" porting 8) , the 2" PVC I think he was talking about is the section that joins the piston face and the piston in the pilots area (the yellow parts)

What size is the magenta barrel, the restriction in this valve?

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: grock » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:28 am

subsonicspud is correct, it is a 3" porting. the magenta barrel is 3"

grock
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: SubsonicSpud » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:20 am

grock wrote:subsonicspud is correct, it is a 3" porting. the magenta barrel is 3"

Yep, you are going to want to make a artillery carriage for this one, particularly if you are going to fire heavy projectiles. She is going to have a lot of recoil :D

SubsonicSpud

SubsonicSpud
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: grock » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:49 am

SubsonicSpud wrote:
grock wrote:subsonicspud is correct, it is a 3" porting. the magenta barrel is 3"

Yep, you are going to want to make a artillery carriage for this one, particularly if you are going to fire heavy projectiles. She is going to have a lot of recoil :D

SubsonicSpud

we were thinking of lashing it to my uncles forklift. might be a bit hard to aim though

grock
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:00 pm

grock wrote:
SubsonicSpud wrote:

SubsonicSpud

we were thinking of lashing it to my uncles forklift. might be a bit hard to aim though

Most forklifts I have driven have steering. Some have the ability to tip the forks back for elevation gain.

They also weigh a ton.. Don't expect it to roll back much when the cannon is fired. :D

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: jmccalip » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:08 pm

Technician1002 wrote:
Most forklifts I have driven have steering. Some have the ability to tip the forks back for elevation gain.

They also weigh a ton.. Don't expect it to roll back much when the cannon is fired. :D

Indeed.

But won't a piston cannon of that size need to roll back so the recoil is dissipated? It might be too much stress for the fittings.

I don't know how you'd do rig that together on a forklift anyways.

jmccalip
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: dewey-1 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:22 pm

jmccalip wrote:
I don't know how you'd do rig that together on a forklift anyways.

Just mount the cannon on a skid and use the fork lift for it's intened use! :D

dewey-1
Major General
Major General

Next

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion