Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 75 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 70 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Fire Extinguisher gun help

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Fire Extinguisher gun help

Unread postAuthor: Clutch » Sun May 03, 2009 5:10 pm

Hi i was in the woods today (Fishing) and i found a fire extinguisher!

It's a KIDDE 3 LB dry chemical fire extinguisher, without the valve/trigger/fill(?) assembly on top. It's just the aluminium canister with a threaded top.

I am thinking about making a crazy all metal gun out of this. It's rated for at LEAST 300 PSI. Because it says "tested up to 300"

My question(s) is; What size is that threaded top at the top?? AND will it thread/connect with a standard steel pipe. (The threads on all steel pipes/threaded brass plumbing supplys etc.)

Clutch
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: dudeman508 » Sun May 03, 2009 6:52 pm

Go to your local homedepot, and try different thread sizes. At my homedepot they have four different types of threads but i cant remember wat kinds they are. If that doesn't work then you could find some threads that fit well enought and Jb weld it all together.

dudeman508
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Sun May 03, 2009 10:07 pm

It's rated for at LEAST 300 PSI. Because it says "tested up to 300"

No, it is rated for 300 PSI. It probably can hold more though.

When I made my dual FE cannon, no threads would fit it so I got both tanks welded for $20NZD, I'd imagine most places that do welding will do it for you for even less.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Sun May 03, 2009 10:17 pm

If you found it in the woods I would inspect it very thoroughly and make sure it's free from corrosion.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Clutch » Sat May 09, 2009 2:39 pm

It's not corroded, just some of the red coating has chipped off. But other than that it's fine. (I don't think aluminum will rust anyway.)

And 300 PSI sounds a little low. That's why i don't think that it's MAX pressure. I would believe more around 500ish. But 300 is just fine for me :)

Clutch
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: Moonbogg » Sat May 09, 2009 3:12 pm

dudeman508 wrote:Go to your local homedepot, and try different thread sizes. At my homedepot they have four different types of threads but i cant remember wat kinds they are. If that doesn't work then you could find some threads that fit well enought and Jb weld it all together.

Is JB weld strong enough to hold high pressure fittings together? Its just epoxy isn't it?

Moonbogg
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: maverik94 » Sat May 09, 2009 3:32 pm

JB weld has a pressure rating of 1800 psi, It is essentially an epoxy mixed with steel, it should hold 300 psi easily. However, make sure to sand and roughen up the area you plan to applt it to for a stronger hold.

"You can't be friends with anyone if you aren't friends with yourself."
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I'm not." -André Gide
Give me a lever long enough, and a fulcrum on which to place it and I shall move the world.
–Archimedes
Defeat is always momentary.
–Carl Denham

Current Project: None, I'm in Spudremission.
maverik94
Colonel
Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion