Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 71 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 68 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Piston materials question

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Piston materials question

Unread postAuthor: randompkguy » Mon May 04, 2009 6:32 pm

I'm building a steel cannon out of an old oxygen welding tank (I already cut it, and am still alive) and had some engineering questions for the piston. I plan to take the cannon up to about 200 psi, and with a barrel inner diameter of 3 inches, that means about 1400 pounds of force on the sealing face. I was considering using some 1/4" thick fiberglass for the sealing face, and then 1/2" polycarbonate for the parts that hit the back of the pilot chamber upon firing. Do you guys think these materials are appropriate?
(the piston diameter is 4 inches)
I was thinking fiberglass because it has good tensile and compressive strength, and polycarbonate because it has great impact resistance)

I plan to post up a complete worklog when I get the time, but here is a render of the piston, and a teaser pic:

Thanks for your help :D

randompkguy
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: grock » Mon May 04, 2009 6:47 pm

fiberglass wont work to well for the sealing face becasuse its too hard. try using rubber/neoprene

grock
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Carlman » Mon May 04, 2009 7:16 pm

use neoprene and have a washer of some kind (cut one out of 2mm steel) that holds the neo on and is only mm smaller than the inside of your barrel.

Aussie spudders unite!!
Carlman
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: randompkguy » Mon May 04, 2009 7:59 pm

oh, sorry about that, I forgot to mention that will be using 1/8" thick neoprene on the fiberglass for the seal, I just wanted to know if 1/4" fiberglass could take the stress

randompkguy
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Mon May 04, 2009 9:28 pm

randompkguy wrote:oh, sorry about that, I forgot to mention that will be using 1/8" thick neoprene on the fiberglass for the seal, I just wanted to know if 1/4" fiberglass could take the stress

Make sure your seat is wide enough. You wouldn't want to die cut the neoprene seal to fit inside the barrel. :D

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion