Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 49 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 44 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

filling a piston

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
filling a piston

Unread postAuthor: covey12 » Sat May 23, 2009 8:35 pm

is a rapid amount of air need to fill a 2" piston, because i have the feeling my bike pump is not putting out enough air to even push the piston, should i save up and get a cheap compressor?

“The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.”
covey12
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: spudtyrrant » Sat May 23, 2009 8:42 pm

i have used a bike pump to fill up my 2 inch piston cannon maybe you piston isn't tight enough add some teflon tape around it and try again :wink:

spudtyrrant
Colonel
Colonel

Re: filling a piston

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Sat May 23, 2009 8:43 pm

covey12 wrote:is a rapid amount of air need to fill a 2" piston, because i have the feeling my bike pump is not putting out enough air to even push the piston, should i save up and get a cheap compressor?

A smaller EQ port or a better seal is required. Until 2 weeks ago, all my cannons were hand pumped. My hand pump died and I bought a very small compressor for $60.

Could you post details on the 2 inch piston cannon? How is it sealed? Is it filled through the pilot? Photos are helpful.

Attached is a photo of a 2 inch piston under pressure test with a hand pump.

Problems with the piston sealing face can also prevent filling as the valve will fail to seal against the barrel. What are you using for a seal? Is the valve seat true and polished flat?

Attachments
Pressure test.jpg
Pressure testing the 2 inch piston ABS cannon.
Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: covey12 » Sat May 23, 2009 8:50 pm

yea i did have quite a bit of clearance around the piston now that i think about it, probably about .5mm from the piston to housing, is that to much? it is barrel sealing t-piston

btw on my new piston if i just put screws threw the tee and the end cap will it be air tight, this way it will be serviceable

“The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.”
covey12
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Gaderelguitarist » Sat May 23, 2009 9:13 pm

To use a hand pump with that piston you could easily put a light spring behind the piston.

I don't even bother with trying to make socket fittings serviceable. It's caused me too much wallet ache in the past. But don't let that discourage you. It does work, it's just not for me i guess.

Gaderelguitarist
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: jmccalip » Sat May 23, 2009 10:03 pm

Well, my 3" piston uses a homemade check valve, and that seems to do the trick. I have not tried it with a bike pump, but it can fill with almost no flow(I used a air regulator).

jmccalip
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion