Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 57 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 52 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

proper piston fit and seal

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
proper piston fit and seal

Unread postAuthor: JDP12 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:34 pm

Hey all-

I've got to make the piston for my undermount paintball launcher, and it is a toolies valve. IT's in a 1.25" galvanized nipple, and seals against a 3/4" nipple.

It's going to be using unregged CO2.

For the piston i was going to cast one out of hot glue. would that be a good enough seal if it was cast in the pipe it slides in would be good enough? Then i would have a support washer, and then the sealing face.

Would that work, seal enough and still be able to open?

Or i was maybe thinking two washers with a neoprene washer in between for the piston- that would give a very good seal but then how would I get it to let air into the chamber portion? Would the neoprene just be able to kind of flutter?

I need to get this right the first time pretty much, in 3 hours preferably. I need it for thursday and can only work on it tomorrow...

JDP12
Major General
Major General

Re: proper piston fit and seal

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:38 pm

ilovetoblowthingsup wrote:...and it is a toolie's valve.

I would go for the neoprene-between-washers option in that case, and don't worry, you're unlikely to cut a 100% perfect circle and get a perfect seal so there will still be equalisation.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: JDP12 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:41 pm

cool.... thanks...

I was going to build this in steel, but if that GGDT is correct I may just use PVC... way lighter for its purpose... Only disadvantage is I need it, or at least really want it by thursday afternoon, so I'd need to glue it up all tomorrow and pray it does work right away....

*stupid PVC glue curing time*

Well I guess I just have to build it right the first time..... LOL...

JDP12
Major General
Major General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion