Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 67 users online :: 4 registered, 1 hidden and 62 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

I got HPA...Near SOS shots...

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
I got HPA...Near SOS shots...

Unread postAuthor: jeepkahn » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:05 am

I got me a pure energy 3k tank w/850psi reg and an inline reg to drop it between 200-500...

Using my copper cane gun, at 400psi i got readings of 1094, 1103, 1107, 1098... this was using yellow wire nuts for ammo and 4ft between muzzle and chrony...

temp was 87f, humidity was 91%, and 1312 ft above sealevel...

I did fire a coupla shots with 500psi but it had gotten too dark for the chrony to pick them up, After I refill my tank today I'll inch up the pressure a little....

With .5" bearings the readings were in the 750-800fps range... but they are a bit loose in the barrel, they do however go all the way through a healthy/not rusty 55 gallon drum...

jeepkahn
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: thedeathofall » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:25 am

With .5" bearings the readings were in the 750-800fps range... but they are a bit loose in the barrel, they do however go all the way through a healthy/not rusty 55 gallon drum...

With ammo like that, they should. That is some serious power your packing!

"I'm spending time without a gender for tax reasons. It's great if I get hit in the groin, but a total nightmare in the bathroom."

-Rag

Obsequium parit amicos; veritas parit odium.

-Cicero

thedeathofall
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: jeepkahn » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:40 am

http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/pics-no ... 17705.html

link to the launcher I'm refering to...

I'll see if i can get some pics of my tank and reg setup sometime today...

here's internet pics of the components I'm using...

Attachments
pbtank.jpg
pbtank.jpg (11.34 KiB) Viewed 467 times
inlinereg.jpg
remote.jpg
remote.jpg (14.36 KiB) Viewed 467 times

jeepkahn
Colonel
Colonel

Re: I got HPA...Near SOS shots...

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:44 pm

jeepkahn wrote:temp was 87f, humidity was 91%, and 1312 ft above sealevel...

Which would make the SOS about 1148 fps.

With that distance between the muzzle and chrony, you're probably getting pretty genuine readings.
I still have doubts you'll actually go supersonic even with an extra 100 psi on top of that, but doubtless you'll get closer.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Re: I got HPA...Near SOS shots...

Unread postAuthor: jeepkahn » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:12 pm

Ragnarok wrote:
jeepkahn wrote:temp was 87f, humidity was 91%, and 1312 ft above sealevel...

Which would make the SOS about 1148 fps.

With that distance between the muzzle and chrony, you're probably getting pretty genuine readings.
I still have doubts you'll actually go supersonic even with an extra 100 psi on top of that, but doubtless you'll get closer.

I figured if I gave atmospheric specs you'd chime in with the actual sos for conditions.... I'm gonna take the vacuum pump home to9nite to see how much differance it makes and if it'll put me over the edge of sos...

jeepkahn
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: thedeathofall » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:05 pm

nice setup there. What kind of a regulator is that?

"I'm spending time without a gender for tax reasons. It's great if I get hit in the groin, but a total nightmare in the bathroom."

-Rag

Obsequium parit amicos; veritas parit odium.

-Cicero

thedeathofall
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: mobile chernobyl » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:39 pm

That's the empire Inline Regulator.

I need to get an LP reg for my 92/45 tank. I want to push my copper cannons up to 300psi and see what they can do... the 50 cal should be fast, but the 75 cal should be balls sick nasty... I'm pretty sure it will be nothing short of amazing lol.

mobile chernobyl
Colonel
Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: jeepkahn » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:11 am

It was nasty and rainy last nite when I got home so I didn't get to play, but this morning I springloaded the fill nipple check to prevent accidentel missfires when disconnecting, and bumped the reg up to 500psi(the newly sprung check requires 38psi to crack, does anyone know if there's an easy way to calculate fill pressure if you know the cracking pressure of the valve, or do I need to set up a rig to gauge both sides of the check???)
I took a coupla shots to get a feel and it's strong... hopefully will stop raining and I can get some more chrony readings later...

jeepkahn
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:05 am

jeepkahn wrote:It was nasty and rainy last nite when I got home so I didn't get to play, but this morning I springloaded the fill nipple check to prevent accidentel missfires when disconnecting, and bumped the reg up to 500psi(the newly sprung check requires 38psi to crack, does anyone know if there's an easy way to calculate fill pressure if you know the cracking pressure of the valve, or do I need to set up a rig to gauge both sides of the check???)
I took a coupla shots to get a feel and it's strong... hopefully will stop raining and I can get some more chrony readings later...

I'm guessing that it will take 35 LBS differential to lift (crack) the valve. 38 into zero, or 500 into 462 would be my guess. Any reason it would be different at pressure?

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: jeepkahn » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:35 am

I was just thinking along the lines of it may act similar to a popoff, it takes xPsi to crack it and yPsi for it to close against a flow due to when closed the pressure only acts on the diameter of the orifice, but once opened it's acting on the diameter of the sealing face.......

jeepkahn
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion