Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 51 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 46 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Portable Guns

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Portable Guns

Unread postAuthor: maverik94 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:35 pm

Ok, I have been working on building a gun that is completely portable, in other words, I don't have to hook it up to a compressor or to a seperate air pump. I have tried my hand at building a single action air rifle, a spring piston air rifle, and a pcp air rifle. I have failed at all three. I got the farthest on the pcp gun, I had the hammer valve functional, but it was leaking badly, so i scrapped it. I was wondering what your Ideas were on building a portable gun. I don't really want to use co2, but I want to hear your ideas. Are there any kinds of portable guns I have missed? Do any of you know of any tutorials on building any of these types of guns EASILY? Thanks.
EDIT: Oh, I forgot, this gun would be a .177" (4.5mm) bore gun.

"You can't be friends with anyone if you aren't friends with yourself."
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I'm not." -André Gide
Give me a lever long enough, and a fulcrum on which to place it and I shall move the world.
–Archimedes
Defeat is always momentary.
–Carl Denham

Current Project: None, I'm in Spudremission.
maverik94
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Hotwired » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:44 pm

What's completely portable?

I mean I call mine completely portable because it and a full size track pump plus a ton of projectiles can fit into a sizeable rucksack to be carted anywhere.

If we're talking an epic number of shots from a single charge and without using co2+ pressure you're not going to be a happy bunny.

You could get half a dozen shots from high track pump pressure without much problem using partial pilot venting on a QEV. BTB has a working one that uses a hammer valve to pop the pilot side and I've left a trail of random posts over a couple of years and in fact a thread somewhere on how my current cannon does the same thing but using manual valves.

Is that what you're after?

Edit: because you edited: if this is just a 4.5mm design you really do need to get a hammer valve. QEV multishot methods are very inefficient for firing a tiny pellet at a time.

Hotwired
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: theBOOM » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:03 pm

I've been thinking of an idea to take apart a co2 airfost gun and incorporating its mechanism of firing into a homemade gun... It would be powered by co2 cartridges that would gimmie a good hundred shots or so.... I mean you could doodle with it some and see what you come up with :roll:

I dunno that's what I would call portable.. beacause you can take it anywhere.. you would just need a co2 catridge ... I'm trying to think up of a way to let a precise measure of compressed air out for each shot with some type of valve.. but i dunno :?

Boom

theBOOM
Major
Major

Unread postAuthor: maverik94 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:58 pm

Well, As I said I don't really want to use co2. What i mean by portable is that I can carry just the gun and ammo around w/o any kind of external pump...I was thinking of having a multi-stroke on-board pump, I would be happy if I could get a 4.5mm bb to got 500 fps with 3-4 pumps. What I really need is a tutorial on how to make one of these from scratch. Anyone? Thanks for the Ideas.

"You can't be friends with anyone if you aren't friends with yourself."
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I'm not." -André Gide
Give me a lever long enough, and a fulcrum on which to place it and I shall move the world.
–Archimedes
Defeat is always momentary.
–Carl Denham

Current Project: None, I'm in Spudremission.
maverik94
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: twizi » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:22 pm

gippeto has a how to

dont play with airsofter with 1000$ gun and play with a 5 dollar pair of glasses
twizi
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:21 pm

Well an on-board multi-pump should be obvious..

And no, no-one will spoonfeed you. Have a look through the showcase, mitch made a multipump gun.

As for multiple shots, you won't get them without doing the hard yards.

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: mobile chernobyl » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:39 am

if you want portable, look into my BOSS system. I dunno how common-place it is on spudguns, but on paintball guns it's the norm.

http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/viewtop ... tml#250427

mobile chernobyl
Colonel
Colonel

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: mark.f » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:09 am

A multi-stroke onboard pump would work, but for very small volumes, if you're planning on about the same number of strokes at a conventional pellet multi-stroke.

In a pellet gun, the pump uses mechanical advantage and multiple pump strokes to get VERY high pressures in a small hammer-valve-check-valve combination bolted into the pump tube. It is a very small volume of air, but at very high pressures.

If you could achieve the same thing, why build a .177 caliber BB gun? Kind of boring when you can walk to the store and get one for about 20 bucks. I would work on the same thing, just with a few more pump strokes and a larger bore not common in conventional airguns, like 3/8" or 1/2" or even 3/4" ID. Would take a much longer pump stroke and more strokes... maybe a wider pump bore, but the shot's power would more than make up for it.

As far as the valve goes, a hammer valve is just about the de facto standard. The pump bore (and air reservoir) is usually stacked under the barrel, with a perpendicular port to the hammer valve which dumps into the barrel, usually behind the pellet and around the bolt. Take a look at the bottom of this page for an example of a PCP airgun (uses just about the same operation principles, just a different power source) made during WWII. Been around for a bit. :P

mark.f
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: inonickname » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:18 am

If you're going single shot in large bores then hammer valves get less practical. A QEV would be a better idea (spring so it could be filled from chamber). If you want to stay with a hammer valve, but have to face no opening pressure i can find my pictures i drew up for a co-axial hammer valve air cane.

PimpAssasinG wrote:no im strong but you are a fat gay mother sucker that gets raped by black man for fun
inonickname
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion