Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 71 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 68 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

toilet valve?

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
toilet valve?

Unread postAuthor: geardog32 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:56 pm

so i managed to strike up a conversation with an employee at the hardware store today, he guessed that i was making a spud gun from my parts list. anyway we were talking about valves and he mentioned that there is a piloted valve on commercial toilets. i was just wondering if anyone has used such a valve, or if it would even be possible?

(\ /)
(0.o)
(><) Copy the bunny to your sig and help him achieve world domination.
geardog32
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:15 pm

The sloan valves have a very long piston and are designed to prevent water hammer. They are piloted, but are generally slow.

The contained in a pressure tank retrofit for home traditional toilets may be something to consider. I'll have to look into them more.

http://www.flushmate.com/HowItWorks/

Ready made air cannon tank and valve maybe?

I wouldn't consider one of the below. Too big a piston.
http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/Sloan-110YB-Regal-Model-110-Flushometer/54737/Cat/885

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: frozebyte » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:49 am

why would those sloan valves be slow, an elaboration? can it be modded to increase its flow rate?

frozebyte
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:56 am

frozebyte wrote:why would those sloan valves be slow, an elaboration? can it be modded to increase its flow rate?

I looked at a repair kit to see what was inside them.
[url]
http://www.wscdirect.net/servlet/the-18 ... ET,/Detail[/url]

I noticed for their outlet size, and water flow route, there was lots of stuff simply in the way. I couldn't see how a low resistance path could be made through it. For our competition we looked for a design with a more efficient COF and fast operation.

Put the above parts in the flow path in the valve body and you will see the restrictions compared to a piston that just gets out of the way.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: twizi » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:20 am

i tryed this with a yournel valve got 1oo fps with marble it sucked crap

dont play with airsofter with 1000$ gun and play with a 5 dollar pair of glasses
twizi
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: pizlo » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:22 am

Hahaha, I took apart my parents toilet one day to get the valve in it and duct taped it int a chamber/barrel the results were less than great.. :roll:

pizlo
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Unread postAuthor: cdheller » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:58 pm

Technician1002 wrote:The sloan valves have a very long piston and are designed to prevent water hammer. They are piloted, but are generally slow.

The contained in a pressure tank retrofit for home traditional toilets may be something to consider. I'll have to look into them more.

http://www.flushmate.com/HowItWorks/

Ready made air cannon tank and valve maybe?

I wouldn't consider one of the below. Too big a piston.
http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/Sloan-110YB-Regal-Model-110-Flushometer/54737/Cat/885

for what it's worth
sloan and zurn flushometers are both diaphragm valves.
replacement parts mostly interchange.
toto (Japanese)are a whole different story.
they are piston valves and more.
2 different "pilot" systems 1 manual, 1 electronic10 year life on a rechargeable battery,a waterwheel driven dynamo ,sensors, circuit board .
don't fail as often as a electronic optima sloan.

although current fixtures(urinals ,toilets, rinse sinks) have different water volumes the diaphragms are the same ,the plastic piece in the middle of diaphragm changes amount of water .the valve off to the side of it controls speed.
O tried useing air through a manual
sloan 3 or 4 years ago.
I didn't have any luck getting it to reset without killing incoming air.

inlet crome piece is 1"ips threaded into valve body outlet is 1 -1/2 slip joint nut

"A lot of what is taken for engineering fact is nothing more than somebody`s opinion when you dig into it far enough."
Henry "Smokey" Yunick, 1923-2001
cdheller
Donating Member
Donating Member

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: THUNDERLORD » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:59 pm

IIRC, there was a news article where someone was stealing tons of the urinal valves and people were wondering why.
(DUHHH...For $$$$ somehow).

Anyway, When you're young you don't think about it so much,
but as you get older you'll probably realize that a faster opening toilet valve could possibly suck (2) certain body parts down the drain causing probably a very painful injury...
I'm pretty far from needing to worry about it myself, but we need to respect our elders... :P :lol:

BTW, someone mentioned the Jap one's were better, but I noticed they're bulky and look cheap...I'm not sure if that fact makes it easier or harder to POOp on them now... :P

-----SPEED,STRENGTH, AND ACCURACY.-----
"Procrastination" is five syllables for "Sloth".
Theopia 8)
Born To Be Alive!

THUNDERLORD
Major General
Major General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion