Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 72 users online :: 4 registered, 0 hidden and 68 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Regulator Setup

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Regulator Setup

Unread postAuthor: Mishkan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:21 pm

Need some help with sanity checking all the parts I need for a portable air rig.

I want a HPA Air Tank of some kind:
68 cu inch 4500psi
Smart Parts Inline Max-Flo Regulator - A regulator that can handle low pressures (0-120 or around that area) so I can use low pressure springs that come with it.

So now the questions...
Can I plug that regulator straight into the HPA tank? If not what adapters do I need.
Also what kind of hose fittings do I need on the other size
And finally, what else could I do instead, pricewise?

Mishkan
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: Mr.Sandman » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:26 pm

To me it looks like you can use it. I would measure the threads though. Regarding the hose, whatever your trying to fill would be helpful to know.

Yeah, it's that important.
Mr.Sandman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: geardog32 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:33 pm

i used to be big into paintball. as for your questions, yes the hpa tank screws directly into the reg (the big end) then the screw on the other end actuates the pin in the tank to release the air. this particular reg looks like it is set up with macro line fittings which are hard flexible plastic lines held in tight when pressurized and released when not pressurized. im not quite sure how you could attach the macro line fittings to a fill valve on a cannon unless you left it connected constantly. another option is a steel braided hose which was alot more common a few years back. i would say this would be a good setup but sort of pricey. i would say i have a 68/45 tank to sell you for cheap but it was stolen recently :( .
EDIT: you could also get a remote line from a paintball shop and maybe cut it and use a hose barb to go to whatever fill option you wish

(\ /)
(0.o)
(><) Copy the bunny to your sig and help him achieve world domination.
geardog32
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Mishkan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:02 pm

I'm getting a used one for $60 hopefully with a tank for $50 (hydro only needed in 4 years). Also I'm pretty sure I can get get the slip fit connectors from alot of places and just convert it to quick disconnect.

Mishkan
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: Mishkan » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:39 pm

Double posting I know,

Anyhow, is it also possible to get an adapter so I can use this regulator in conjunction with prefitted regulator?

Mishkan
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: geardog32 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:03 pm

im not sure if i understand your question but if your talking about the tank itself most paintball hpa tanks com in two varieties high pressure (usually red) and low pressure (usually blue). the are not adjustable they are just a fixed pressure and then you would use another regulator like the one you have to fine tune. these are usually inline and threaded so you wouldnt need an adapter for your regulator. im not quite sure if that is what you were asking. what kind of tank are you getting?

(\ /)
(0.o)
geardog32
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Mishkan » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:16 pm

Well from what I've found out the regulator I've listed above screws directly into the air tank. (This has the male, air tank has female). So I can buy an air tank without the prefitted regulator.

But lets say I wanted a second tank, I'd need a prefitted regulator so I can have it filled, correct? Similar to :
http://www.utahpaintballsupply.com/stor ... eneral.jpg
Then can I use the regulator I've listed above with the prefitted regulator? By way of an adapter (male to male I guess)

Mishkan
Corporal
Corporal

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:02 pm

For what it's worth. Often for steady pressure, a low pressure on the final orifice is needed. It is common in high pressure sources to use dual stage or dual regulators. With long plumbing low pressure and high flow, dual regulators is the norm.

Places this is often seen is gas furnaces for homes. The meter regulates down to 6 inch water collum. The furnace or appliance regulates down to 4 inch water collum for the burner. This way increased gas use from the water heater or stove kicking in doesn't fluctuate the furnace pressure at the burner.

Other places this is common is SCUBA. Tank is regged down to 100 PSI and then the mask reg brings it down slightly below ambient.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: geardog32 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:21 pm

tech is right this is what i was trying to say earlier. the tank you linked would screw right into the reg you have pictured and this would be your two reg set up. are you saying the tank that you got does not have a male end on it like the one in the link?

(\ /)
(0.o)
geardog32
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Mishkan » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:28 pm

The reg I have picture screws directly into the tank (without the pre reg) form what I've heard.

But nevermind, believe it or not I think I found something lying around.

I think thats what you call an ASA? Does anybody know anything about it? Will it work with HPA and then what else do I need to regulate down to 70 psi.

Edit found link:
http://www.airsoftpost.com/genuine-tipp ... 25706.html
So what else do I need.

Mishkan
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: geardog32 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:52 pm

yes that is an ASA or air source adapter. the way this would work on a paintball gun normally is a tank like the one you linked earlier would screw into the ASA then you would run a hose from this to a regulator which is normally the front grip on the paintball gun. one way you could do it is take a tank like the one you linked then with macro line from the ASA go to something like this http://www.actionvillage.com/031-138-0028 and then screw this http://www.actionvillage.com/036-187-0001 onto the regulator and then go to your spud gun. it would be pretty sloppy but it would work.

(\ /)
(0.o)
geardog32
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Mishkan » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:10 pm

Well multiple questions now

Couldn't I just ignore the second regulator since stability doesn't matter too much? This hypothetically reduces it down to between 0-800 psi and then I could just run it to a hose -> my cannon?

If not, what would be the cheapest option for the secondary (or I guess 3rd regulator at this point)

Mishkan
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: geardog32 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:57 pm

oh, i didnt even see that it was a reg too sorry i thought it was just an ASA yes you could just go from that to your cannon since stability isnt important.

(\ /)
(0.o)
geardog32
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Mishkan » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:03 pm

So it'll work with HPA?

Andddd there are two holes on the side for this. I assume the smaller hole is the regulated output? What type of connector do I need there (like threading etc.)

Edit: Pic from other side
Sorry for blurriness.

And turning it clockwise should increase pressure I assume.

Mishkan
Corporal
Corporal

Unread postAuthor: Mishkan » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:37 am

Another double post again, I'm just trying to get this right before I have to pull PVC shrapnel out of my arm.

Is the bigger hole for a gauge?

Mishkan
Corporal
Corporal

Next

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion