Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 64 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 62 guests

Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Giant air cannon

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Giant air cannon

Unread postAuthor: missourian » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:27 am

I am wanting to inquire on the feasibility of making a long 3 inch barreled pneumatic cannon. What i have in mind is two 5 foot pressure chambers and a mauler valve and a 7 foot 3 inch barrel. I plan on using canned goods as my main ammo because they measure 3 inches in diameter. I am wondering about any problems one might encounter building this monstrosity. I will be using a ball valve directly inline after the two pressure valves tee together. This will act as a safety. During filling and loading it will be closed so no air will be able to get to the valve. Thus preventing accidental discharge and injuries. I also want to put a male thread adapter on the barrel at the breech and a female adapter directly after the valve. I'm not sure if this will work but i think it would be an easy way to make the gun a breech loader. Any comments on the guns basic design from a theoretical standpoint would be appreciated. If anyone has built a gun of this size i appreciate knowing how it went. Thanks

missourian
Private
Private

Unread postAuthor: jmadden91 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:55 am

Please please search. But welcome to spudfiles

http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/10and-gallon-t18508.html

Thats a recent one but there have been many.

jmadden91
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: Mr.Sandman » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:59 am

A mauler valve would probably limit flow greatly so i would go for a supah valve. The ball valve is a dumb idea. It will only decrease performance even when its open. Just put a ball valve on the pilot and that will be your safety.Don't use any threaded parts as it will be rather difficult to unscrew. I think you should look at shchmanmans swat gun for ideas. There are at least 10 canons of this size. Please try to search more often. No one wants to spoonfeed you.

Yeah, it's that important.
Mr.Sandman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Ragnarok » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:07 am

Mr.Sandman wrote:A mauler valve would probably limit flow greatly so i would go for a supah valve.

Tests have shown that Maulers outperform Supah valves. Flow diameter is the same (~2"), but the Mauler makes better use of it.

Does that thing kinda look like a big cat to you?
Ragnarok
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Re: Giant air cannon

Unread postAuthor: mobile chernobyl » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:55 pm

missourian wrote:I am wanting to inquire on the feasibility of making a long 3 inch barreled pneumatic cannon. What i have in mind is two 5 foot pressure chambers and a mauler valve and a 7 foot 3 inch barrel. I plan on using canned goods as my main ammo because they measure 3 inches in diameter. I am wondering about any problems one might encounter building this monstrosity. I will be using a ball valve directly inline after the two pressure valves tee together. This will act as a safety. During filling and loading it will be closed so no air will be able to get to the valve. Thus preventing accidental discharge and injuries. I also want to put a male thread adapter on the barrel at the breech and a female adapter directly after the valve. I'm not sure if this will work but i think it would be an easy way to make the gun a breech loader. Any comments on the guns basic design from a theoretical standpoint would be appreciated. If anyone has built a gun of this size i appreciate knowing how it went. Thanks

Hello and welcome.

I just built exactly the gun your describing. I can shoot canned foods and what not and believe me, its FUN! The link to my gun was posted in the second post of this thread, but if you are looking into creating such a gun, ask any questions on that thread, and I will be happy to help you along.

Also don't bother with any premade valves, I made my own 3" porting valve, which in all likelyness is superior to any pre-made 2" porting valve out there and with over 2 Times the porting surface area, it's not hard to understand why. Plus it's cheaper ;)

mobile chernobyl
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:51 pm

Ragnarok wrote:
Mr.Sandman wrote:A mauler valve would probably limit flow greatly so i would go for a supah valve.

Tests have shown that Maulers outperform Supah valves. Flow diameter is the same (~2"), but the Mauler makes better use of it.

References to the tests please. I would like to review the process, procedure and data.

I have suspected that a barrel sealer valve would outperform a chamber sealer due to the smaller volume of dead space and the greater snap action, but I have seen no data on these two valves to back up the theory.

Do you have a link to the tests? Thanks in advance.

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion