Login    Register
User Information
Username:
Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 81 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 76 guests


Most users ever online was 155 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

I'm an IDIOT!!!!

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
    Message

Unread postAuthor: Gippeto » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:32 am

jackssmirkingrevenge wrote:Jeebus!


I'm not a religious man...but I agree whole heartedly. :D

Packin' some hurt there Jeep. :thumbup: :thumbup:
  • 0

"It could be that the purpose of your life is to serve as a warning to others" – unknown

Liberalism is a mental disorder, reality is it's cure.
User avatar
Gippeto
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 2393
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:14 am
Location: The Great White North...Canada eh!
Reputation: 11

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:26 am

Given the "perfect" nature of the hole, I doubt that extra 1/16" is going to have any effect on the ball punching through.

I also concur with POLSKA_ZIEMNIAK, you ought to put a 1/4" ply or similar "witness plate" inside the safe (but not touching the door) to record the effects of spalling.
  • 0

User avatar
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 24225
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:28 pm
Country: Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Reputation: 66

Unread postAuthor: jeepkahn » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:55 am

What exactly are you wanting to record concerning spalling???
  • 0

My Cannons can be found by clicking the following link.
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/viewtop ... tml#256896

jeepkahn
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 747
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:11 pm
Location: Triad, NC, USA
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:01 am

  • 0

User avatar
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 24225
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:28 pm
Country: Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Reputation: 66

Unread postAuthor: jeepkahn » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:19 am

In the camlock damage pic, note the piece of plate that is above them on the picnic table, that is the spall from the safe, it hit the back side of the safe hard enough to bend the edge that hit... also, it was several minutes before it was cool enough to pick up without burning your fingers... amazingly, the balls survive relatively unharmed other than residue stuck to them,but reusable nonetheless... Also, the safe smells like burnt paint after being shot as well...

another interesting note is that the ball won't fit back through the hole after it cools...
  • 0

Attachments
camlockdamageedit.jpg
My Cannons can be found by clicking the following link.
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/viewtop ... tml#256896

jeepkahn
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 747
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:11 pm
Location: Triad, NC, USA
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: jeepkahn » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:02 am

here's the requested "witness" shot....

the cardboard was 6" behind the metal, and you can see that the spall had a diagonal trajectory and the ball went straight through, I was expecting maybe a few more fragments, but it's a pretty clean punchout...
  • 0

Attachments
spallwitness.jpg
spallwitness2.jpg
insidesafe.jpg
My Cannons can be found by clicking the following link.
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/viewtop ... tml#256896

jeepkahn
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 747
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:11 pm
Location: Triad, NC, USA
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:53 am

Fascinating :) so just 2 holes in the cardboard?

I would have expected more fragments too, though the metal doesn't seem too brittle and deforms rather than shatters.
  • 0

User avatar
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 24225
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:28 pm
Country: Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Reputation: 66

Sponsored

Sponsor
 


Special request.

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:00 am

I do have a special request. In another forum there is some clams that a high speed projectile makes smaller holes in cans full of water while slower makes a bigger hole in the can.

Request is simple. Shoot a soda can full of water and post the remains of the can. Thanks. I'm predicting the energy transferred to the water will pretty much shred the can into fragments from the shock wave in the water. A 1 gallon milk carton would be nice too.
  • 0

User avatar
Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff
 
Posts: 5190
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:10 am
Reputation: 14

Unread postAuthor: Hotwired » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:02 am

If you want fragments shoot cast iron not mild steel sheet :)
  • 0

User avatar
Hotwired
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
 
Posts: 2599
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:51 am
Location: UK
Reputation: 0

Re: Special request.

Unread postAuthor: jeepkahn » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:31 am

Technician1002 wrote:I do have a special request. In another forum there is some clams that a high speed projectile makes smaller holes in cans full of water while slower makes a bigger hole in the can.

Request is simple. Shoot a soda can full of water and post the remains of the can. Thanks. I'm predicting the energy transferred to the water will pretty much shred the can into fragments from the shock wave in the water. A 1 gallon milk carton would be nice too.


I had seen the other thread, but I hadn't gotten around to posting on it...

the decimater shooting a gallon milk jug of water turns it into 4-5 pieces of shredded deformed plastic that all the kings horses and all the kings men couldn't put back together to resemble a jug... monster cans of water with the .40 cal barrel on the minimod with bearings explodes the can, but when using spent 9mm casings it blasts the top of the can off and tears the opposing sides but has a .40 entry and about 1" exit leaving the can in 1 main piece... with blowdarts, clean entry and exit, no other damage...
I really depends on projectile as much as speed as to what kinda damage you get.
  • 0

My Cannons can be found by clicking the following link.
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/viewtop ... tml#256896

jeepkahn
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 747
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:11 pm
Location: Triad, NC, USA
Reputation: 0

Re: Special request.

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:47 am

jeepkahn wrote:
Technician1002 wrote:I do have a special request. In another forum there is some clams that a high speed projectile makes smaller holes in cans full of water while slower makes a bigger hole in the can.

Request is simple. Shoot a soda can full of water and post the remains of the can. Thanks. I'm predicting the energy transferred to the water will pretty much shred the can into fragments from the shock wave in the water. A 1 gallon milk carton would be nice too.


I had seen the other thread, but I hadn't gotten around to posting on it...

the decimater shooting a gallon milk jug of water turns it into 4-5 pieces of shredded deformed plastic that all the kings horses and all the kings men couldn't put back together to resemble a jug... monster cans of water with the .40 cal barrel on the minimod with bearings explodes the can, but when using spent 9mm casings it blasts the top of the can off and tears the opposing sides but has a .40 entry and about 1" exit leaving the can in 1 main piece... with blowdarts, clean entry and exit, no other damage...
I really depends on projectile as much as speed as to what kinda damage you get.


Thanks. :D
  • 0

User avatar
Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff
 
Posts: 5190
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:10 am
Reputation: 14

Unread postAuthor: Brian the brain » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:59 pm

I ignored this thread because of the idiot part...

Untill now...Who's the idiot now...

I almost missed the safe pics!!


This is something to brag about for sure...
  • 0

Gun Freak wrote:
Oh my friggin god stop being so awesome, that thing is pure kick ass. Most innovative and creative pneumatic that the files have ever come by!

Can't ask for a better compliment!!
User avatar
Brian the brain
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3494
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:06 am
Location: Holland
Country: Netherlands (nl)
Reputation: 29

Unread postAuthor: jeepkahn » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:34 pm

Brian the brain wrote:I ignored this thread because of the idiot part...

Untill now...Who's the idiot now...

I almost missed the safe pics!!


This is something to brag about for sure...


I feel honoured, I think...

Seriously though, I appreciate the compliments from one of the more prestigious of the hi-pressure junkies on here...

Yet I still feel unworthy everytime I look at Lardas projects...

But, I've got some hybrid designs up my sleeve... :D
  • 0

My Cannons can be found by clicking the following link.
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/viewtop ... tml#256896

jeepkahn
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 747
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:11 pm
Location: Triad, NC, USA
Reputation: 0

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:21 pm

jeepkahn wrote:Yet I still feel unworthy everytime I look at Lardas projects...


You shouldn't, what you achieved you did only with pressurised gas and to some extent this makes it an even more impressive achievement :)
  • 0

User avatar
jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member
 
Posts: 24225
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:28 pm
Country: Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Reputation: 66

Unread postAuthor: rna_duelers » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:32 pm

What can I say but,nice penetration!

That clean punch is rather amazing,I would of expected more of a tear in the metal then a clean hole punched.Love the look from the inside looks like a nice 20mm round has passed through :D
  • 0

Image
User avatar
rna_duelers
Major General
Major General
 
Posts: 1740
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:07 am
Location: G-land Australia
Country: Australia (au)
Reputation: 1

PreviousNext

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion

Who is online

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot]

Reputation System ©'