Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 58 users online :: 5 registered, 0 hidden and 53 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

40mm Inline Chamber Sealing Valve

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
40mm Inline Chamber Sealing Valve

Unread postAuthor: rna_duelers » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:39 pm

Now I'm not sure weather to actually call this an inline valve but more of an inline style valve because of it's design.This is only a rough design that popped into my head a while ago when I was working on the Blow off Valve of a turbocharged car.I've been out of spudgunning for a while now as some of you may know so my design might not be perfect and have some fatal flaws that I haven't discovered.

Well here it is a rough drawing.Hopefully it gives you an idea.

I will go further into detail and design when I come back from my shopping.

Attachments
Inline 40mm shoulder launcher.jpg
Rough Design Of Valve and housing
Inline 40mm shoulder launcher.jpg (20.82 KiB) Viewed 593 times
rna_duelers
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:51 pm

As long as the piston was airtight it should work. I don't think performance would be amazing compared to a normal fully ported piston valve, but it looks like a solution for someone making a replica of a Bazooka type rocket launcher.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: spudtyrrant » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:24 pm

why not just make a toolie going through the chamber it would be easier to make, it would probably perform better, and you could pilot it from the back

I ♥ ♣'in baby seals
spudtyrrant
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Hotwired » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:55 pm

Because piloting it from the back isn't as good for aesthetics as piloting it from the side.

Performance for the size isn't always the #1 reason for a build.

Hotwired
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: rna_duelers » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:15 pm

I had the intention of building a LAW style launcher out of this design,all out performance isn't what I was chasing.More of a first of it's kind design(Has it been done?)

This is what gave me the inspiration.

Of course it's going to be down sized and port design made to flow more efficiently then just simple holes.I Also have been thinking of piston design.Instead of it being a plain flat why not have a cone piston and a matching seat for the piston to direct airflow.Shown in the crappy illustration below.

Attachments
Inline 40mm shoulder launcher#2.jpg
Inline 40mm shoulder launcher#2.jpg (19.77 KiB) Viewed 556 times
rna_duelers
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:56 pm

Kind of reminds me of a barrel sealing version I had going on here:
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/linear- ... rt,15.html

The problem is mounting a piston housing inside of a barrel or chamber without restricting flow.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: rna_duelers » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:54 pm

Thats what I was worried about,restriction in flow.Although with this design I would be using either a copper or brass chamber so pressure of upto 200psi would be used.But like I said before I'm not going for just performance it's also got to have that wow factor that will come with everything being housed in a single length of 40mm PN12 pipe.

It is similar to that design,but there are differences such as how yours seals onto the barrel but my valve seals onto itself only and is then inserted in a barrel,hell it could even be used as a noise maker by itself haha.

rna_duelers
Major General
Major General

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:15 am

rna_duelers wrote:This is what gave me the inspiration.

You could always use that to make a massive auto by scaling up my rattlesnake design :D

You'd have to beef up the spring though, as I understand it those things pop at just a few psi.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: spudtyrrant » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:06 pm

Hotwired wrote:Because piloting it from the back isn't as good for aesthetics as piloting it from the side.

i beg to differ i think trying to making it ascetically pleasing from the back would be easier to build and end up looking better

rna_duelers wrote:I'm not going for just performance it's also got to have that wow factor that will come with everything being housed in a single length of 40mm PN12 pipe.

http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/m1a1-ba ... ter,0.html

I ♥ ♣'in baby seals
spudtyrrant
Colonel
Colonel

Unread postAuthor: Hotwired » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:46 pm

spudtyrrant wrote:
Hotwired wrote:Because piloting it from the back isn't as good for aesthetics as piloting it from the side.

i beg to differ i think trying to making it ascetically pleasing from the back would be easier to build and end up looking better

As you wish.

But consider the designs you see around you in here. Are they as they are because the creator wanted them to be or because they have to be due to the valve system?

Put enough thought into anything you're given to work with and you can come up with something that looks good. But you will be limited by whatever restrictions there are in what you were given.

Pilot from the side and you get an inline layout with a central trigger, pilot from the back and you have the cannon in front, pilot from the front and you have the cannon further back. Pilot 90 degrees from either chamber or barrel and you need a stacked tube arrangement to keep everything compact.

Of course you can run airlines all over the place to make up for it but having to move the pilot valve a significant distance from the main valve is a sign that the main valve isn't quite where you would really have liked it to be. You're working around the restrictions the valve imposes.

In a rocket launcher style cannon the trigger is somewhat central to a fairly long tube so a side piloting valve would be a fairly desirable thing. Performance and aesthetics all depends on how skilful the designer and builder is after that.

Hotwired
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Unread postAuthor: rna_duelers » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:34 am

Like I said this is only an Idea.

I've thought of actualy using one of my BOVs for a valve.But there build isn't designed to handle pressures above 40psi at the most(Read Thin Aluminium Walls)

This is a deisgn if I was to eventuate into a launcher would be made with a lathe that I'm going to purchase when my car has it paintjob done.But until then I'm still going to try and better the designs flow and design.All no wider then the inner diameter of a 40mm pipe.

rna_duelers
Major General
Major General

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion