Password:
We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.
Click here to Register
Sponsored
Who is online

In total there are 36 users online :: 6 registered, 0 hidden and 30 guests

Most users ever online was 218 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:58 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], MSNbot Media, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 5 minutes

The Team
Administrators
Global Moderators
global_moderators.png CS

Pneumatic Silencer?

Post questions and info about pneumatic (compressed gas) powered cannons here. This includes discussion about valves, pipe types, compressors, alternate gas setups, and anything else relevant.
Sponsored 
  • Author
Pneumatic Silencer?

Unread postAuthor: Northir » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:36 am

i was told today that the cannon i made is to loud and destructive so i thought what if it was quiet and destructive, ive seen a few silencers around but wasnt sure if they would work on a air cannon, what do you guys think?

on a totally different topic, i dont want to glue my barrel to the male coupling so i was thinking of just putting some screws in to it, would that be enough to hold it without breaking

Northir
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:07 am

Do a search, plenty of silencer info

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Northir » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:19 am

yea the search here hates me i get 9089 results when i search it most of which have nothing to do with them

Northir
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: grock » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:22 am

try advanced search on the homepage, then you can narrow it by forum, keywords you dont want, author etc

grock
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:31 am

I get 58 results searching under the pneumatic cannon discussion section.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: Northir » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:39 am

i guess that less is more in this search engine "Pneumatic Silencer" gives 1000 under the pneumatic cannon discussion section And "Silencer" gives 58

Northir
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:44 am

Northir wrote:i guess that less is more in this search engine "Pneumatic Silencer" gives 1000 under the pneumatic cannon discussion section And "Silencer" gives 58

It gives 1000 because it searches pneumatic seperately. Why would you search 'pneumatic' in the pneumatic cannon discussion section? You already know all the topics in there are related to only pneumatics.

Try searching 'pneumatic silencer' in all of the sections but tick the box "Search for all terms".

MrCrowley

Sponsored

Sponsor

Unread postAuthor: Northir » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:46 am

lol i got it anyways, not finding any real plans or ways to build them, more or less im seeing thats its not a good idea as it can make them illegal, which irritates me because this means i cant use my cannon at all, since like i said my land lord thinks it loud and destructive

Last edited by Northir on Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Northir
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: Davidvaini » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:48 am

its okay, the default search on here sucks.

I think it all depends on what you really want.

For Airsoft Guns, a typical baffle system doesn't really work that well because you are not trying to cool down any gases by letting them expand in a chamber.

Most of the noise comes from the gearbox of the gun, but some does come out the barrel. So I create a suppressor that is designed like this:
and it seems to work out really well. It allows for the noise that does come out the barrel to hit silencing foam and be absorbed.

But for larger cannons with a larger volume of air, I'm sure there is a better way of doing things.

Davidvaini
Major General
Major General

Unread postAuthor: MrCrowley » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:48 am

In America, yes I think so. You wont find many plans anyway but more ideas and designs (usually by JSR). There's heaps of topics on this, you just need to find out the principle behind why silencers work so well and go from there.

MrCrowley

Unread postAuthor: Northir » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:54 am

im almost thinking i could just port the barrel and wrap it in black insulating foam,

EDIT: im thinking ill just scrap the silencer, but any ideas on temporarily attaching a coupler to my barrel?

Northir
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:45 am

A smaller chamber and longer barrel will cut down significantly on noise. Given the size of your launcher, the volume of silencer needed to adequately reduce noise levels would result in the cannon being somewhat clumsy. Still, a reasonably sized can on the muzzle end will take the edge off the muzzle report and make the noise more "socially acceptable" so to speak.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Technician1002 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:15 am

Excess chamber size that results in very high pressure behind the projectile at exit results in a mass of air exiting the barrel under pressure that rapidly expands, much like the air in a balloon when the container is compromised.

A longer barrel or a much smaller chamber operated at higher pressure to provide the same energy to the projectile increases the efficiency and reduces the bang. Look to design one where GGDT warns you "barrel excessively long" and look for a curve where the projectile stops picking up speed before it exits.

This thread covers the discovery of the reduced noise.
http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/failed-attempt-at-a-silent-tb-launcher-t17989.html
The resulting launcher was very quiet with reasonable power. Operating at 110 PSI the launches were the most silent. Note the very small chamber and large barrel.
You can hear the launch here. The valve in the tank makes a clank that is louder than the actual launch which is almost silent.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUTXomfdLTE

Technician1002
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff

Unread postAuthor: jackssmirkingrevenge » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:19 am

Technician1002 wrote:Look to design one where GGDT warns you "barrel excessively long" and look for a curve where the projectile stops picking up speed before it exits.

There are of course practical limits to barrel length ;)

Yea, a 10 foot long 12G barrel is kinda long.
Edited by jrrdw.

jackssmirkingrevenge
Donating Member
Donating Member

Unread postAuthor: Hotwired » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:13 pm

Not much point in silencing a random cannon, ideally you should have designed the cannon with silencing in mind.

High pressure, small chamber, small bore...

Hotwired
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Next

Return to Pneumatic Cannon Discussion